February 6, 2022

Always in training

 

 

READ Exodus 21-24

I’ve been told that many Christians do not read the Old Testament. They assume that its laws and stories are not compatible with the NT even though it is often quoted by Jesus and by NT authors. We know no one is saved by keeping OT laws, but the NT says their purpose is to convict us of sin and show us the way that God intends His people to live. We cannot do it without Christ, yet without reading the OT, we might be caught up in sin and not realize it.

For instance, Paul writes this quote from the OT to show that the Lord bore the insults given to His people. That plus other OT truths are written to teach and remind us so we can endure such things and have hope:  

For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.” For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:3–4)

This touches me today because I was insulted several times yesterday and didn’t sleep well as I tried to figure out His will for me response to such rude treatment. God tells me that Jesus Christ bore those insults on my behalf and reading the OT will encourage me. Many Psalms come to mind where the author experienced similar trials and how he pleaded his case before the Lord. Even the thought that God put those sins against me on Jesus lifts much of my angst. We have a wonderful Savior.

The second OT truth for today convicts me. It comes from today’s reading and associated verses and says, “You shall not revile God, nor curse a ruler of your people.” (Exodus 22:28)

A NT example is when Paul called out against an accuser and “Those who stood by said, ‘Would you revile God’s high priest?’ And Paul said, ‘I did not know, brothers, that he was the high priest, for it is written, “You shall not speak evil of a ruler of your people.’” (Acts 23:4–5)

While this could refer only to religious leaders, another verse applies it to political leaders, even to wealthy people. “Even in your thoughts, do not curse the king, nor in your bedroom curse the rich, for a bird of the air will carry your voice, or some winged creature tell the matter.” (Ecclesiastes 10:20)

During Covid and all the ever-changing rules and protocols, it is easy to speak evil of our lawmakers. However, according to several Scriptures, God put them in place. To speak evil of them is the same as reviling God. I dare not do that!

A third thought from the OT is this: “You shall not oppress a sojourner. You know the heart of a sojourner, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.” (Exodus 23:9) This means not to harm or mistreat people from another country or culture, reminding me that I was also in another ‘world’ before God brought me into His kingdom.

This hits home because I’ve a relationship with such a person that is becoming difficult because that person is doing things that are contrary to Christian living and my sinful self wants to strike back rather than be kind and understanding. Some of that person’s behavior is crude yet excused by “I’m just new to this country” and that excuse also upsets me. However, God says I need to remember what I was like while enslaved to sin (in ‘Egypt’) and cut unsaved people some slack. Only God can change lives; my frustration or any oppression on my part will hinder Him.

This is much to think about, but the OT gives me encouragement and hope. There are answers to my frustrations and ways to deal with them that did not immediately come to mind. The Lord is always gracious and kind to me, and He wants me to treat others the same way. I need You Jesus. I cannot do this without You.

 

No comments: