February 24, 2022

The power of truth

 

 

READ Job 13-16

 A few times others have given me advice that misses the mark. Most of it has been along the lines of “try harder” rather than trust the Lord. When that happens, I tend to turn away and lick my wounds.

For Job, he needed to hear “God loves you and has redeemed you” not “God is dealing with you according to your sins . . . you must stop sinning.” However, today’s reading shows me something about Job that I’d not noticed before. He stands up very strongly for his innocence, but also rightly accuses his ‘friends’ of their error. He refused to let them get away with their so-called advice. Job’s rebuke is strong:

“Behold, my eye has seen all this, my ear has heard and understood it. What you know, I also know; I am not inferior to you. But I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to argue my case with God. As for you, you whitewash with lies; worthless physicians are you all. Oh that you would keep silent, and it would be your wisdom!" (Job 13:1–5)

This man was grieving terrible losses and suffering physical pain, but his spirit was alive and lively. This answer was not merely a come-back but he told them the truth about what they were doing. God later commended him for that.

Job continued by challenging their right to speak for God. He also asked them if they would say the same things about themselves if such disasters happened to them:

Hear now my argument and listen to the pleadings of my lips. Will you speak falsely for God and speak deceitfully for him? Will you show partiality toward him? Will you plead the case for God? Will it be well with you when he searches you out? Or can you deceive him, as one deceives a man? He will surely rebuke you if in secret you show partiality. Will not his majesty terrify you, and the dread of him fall upon you? Your maxims are proverbs of ashes; your defenses are defenses of clay. (Job 13:6–12)

The next verses reveal again that Job’s greatest difficulty was God’s silence, but he also said, “Though he slay me, I will have hope in him.” His faith was being challenged yet he continued to pass the tests.

Job pointed out that we are all terminal. We come into this world as sinners but those who call on God find that He will “not keep watch over my sin; my transgression would be sealed up in a bag and You would cover over my iniquity.” Job knew the grace of God. His ‘friends’ were focused on human performance.

Eliphaz responded with a litany against the unrighteous as he accused Job of “hindering meditation before God” meaning that his hidden sin was the reason for God’s silence and even when God speaks, Job does not listen. But his words did not shake Job. He replied:

“I have heard many such things; miserable comforters are you all. Shall windy words have an end? Or what provokes you that you answer? I also could speak as you do, if you were in my place; I could join words together against you and shake my head at you. I could strengthen you with my mouth, and the solace of my lips would assuage your pain.” (Job 16:2–5)

Job is a gutsy man, not wimpy, even in all his anguish. He knew his words would not ease his own pain, but if these ‘friends’ were in the same position as he was, he knew what words would be helpful to them. This man knew what worked and what was ‘wind’ and totally discouraging.

I can relate. When my father died, I quickly realized what not to say to someone in my position. Well-meaning words can deepen the pain whereas truth rejoices the soul. One young woman bounced up and said, “I know this is a sad time, but I’m so excited for your dad.” With that, my soul soared; my dad was gone from me, but he is with Jesus — words not focused on ‘poor me’ and words I needed to hear.

Job went on to tell God what he was experiencing. To readers, it might sound like whining, but God has broad shoulders. Who better to hear our anguish than the One who later would bear it all on a wooden cross? I’ve read Job many times and know that he knew he was a forgiven sinner and he knew the meaning of grace. Truth carried him through the awfulness of this trial and answered all the accusations of ‘friendly fire’ aimed at his heart.

For me, this is huge encouragement to keep my focus on the Gospel and on Jesus — who is the way, the truth and also my life, forever.

 

No comments: