February 3, 2022

No fear of death . . .

 

READ Exodus 9-12

Almost two years ago just as Covid began its rampage, I was standing in line at a large store and began chatting about this new threat with the woman behind me. She said, “I believe that God controls who lives or dies.” I agreed. While we are all terminal, I also believe that the way we die is up to God.

Last week, my oldest son said a similar thing. “I believe God controls when and how I die, by Covid or hit by a bus, and that’s why I am not afraid of death.” The woman confessed to me her faith in Christ, as did my son. This lack of fear is the wonder of the Gospel and the result of trusting in Jesus Christ:

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. (Hebrews 2:14–15)

This power over death and slavery was depicted thousands of years ago in the OT exodus. God’s people wanted out of Egypt, but their captor would not let them go. Pharaoh was repeatedly softened by the plagues, yet when they were removed, he hardened his heart. Finally, he lost that control and for His purposes, God began to harden him, showing that He is sovereign Lord, even over political leaders:

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go in to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the heart of his servants, that I may show these signs of mine among them, and that you may tell in the hearing of your son and of your grandson how I have dealt harshly with the Egyptians and what signs I have done among them, that you may know that I am the Lord.” (Exodus 10:1–2)

We may not understand why things happen, but this tells me that God is in charge of even the hearts of kings and has reasons for allowing even extreme opposition against His people.

The last plague involved death. It again showed the truth that God controls all things, including death. With this plague, someone from every household would die — except those who put the blood of a slain lamb on the doors of their home. This would be an act of faith, trusting God’s word even though such an action makes little sense. Nevertheless, when the angel of death came, anyone who died or lived depended on their response to His instructions:

For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the Lord. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt. (Exodus 12:12–13)

This is a clear picture of the Gospel. It points to the blood of Christ and how His death releases those who believe in Him from their slavery to sin, even from their slavery to the fear of death.

The promises of God and the accounts of all He has done, plus faith in Jesus Christ makes a justifiable difference to how any threats to life affect God’s people. No one wants to suffer, but knowing the Lord is in charge of death, even in control of the dying process, makes a difference. Believing in Jesus is a powerful antidote to fear.

Lesson: Today I’m thinking about my age and the ticking clock. I have no idea when God will call me home, but because of the blood of Jesus, I know that the angel of eternal death will pass over me. My physical death is up to the Lamb but He has given me eternal life with Him. Today and every day is a good time to celebrate how He has set me free from the fear of death and given me joy in the freedom of trusting Him.

 

No comments: