October 6, 2020

Keep on keeping on . . .

1 Kings 9; Psalm 90; Ezekiel 39; Ephesians 6

Each day I try to focus on one virtue from a list of character traits. Today, that focus is: CONSIDER ALL MY LIFE and all that is available to me as resources for which I am a steward, unto the praise of HIS glory vs. Piling it up to glorify me. This thought comes from these verses:

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:31–33)

I’ve been thinking much of usefulness to God in these days of isolation, many fear-filled friends and personal aging. Full of ideas that cannot be used because of government restrictions, I wonder if my life has a point that I’ve missed. This and all sorts of other negative stuff make threats against my contented faith in God, yet it isn’t a sinful thing to “consider my life” — if I keep the power of God in mind.

God’s providence gave me support in these verses from today’s readings:

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:12)

Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children. Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands! (Psalm 90:16–17)

 . . . along with a version of ‘Jesus Loves Me’ for seniors that includes these lines: “Jesus loves me, this I know, though my hair is white as snow, though my sight is growing dim, still He bids me trust in Him . . . When my work on earth is done, and life’s victories have been won, He will take me home above, then I’ll understand His love.”

Ezekiel gets in on this train of thinking by reminding me that God will destroy all threats against His people. He does it for His own name’s sake, just as I am to live for His glory . . .

“And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. (Ezekiel 39:7)

Then the Lord gives me more encouragement from the NT; He tells me to “be strong” in Him and to “put on the whole armor of God” that He has given so I can stand against the schemes of the devil. I’m convinced that the devil’s schemes include putting a stop to my prayer life. Ephesians 6 lists God’s armor then defines the battle this way:

In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:16–20)

This battle is not about being young and strong or having other special abilities. It is about recognizing those flaming darts (all lies from the devil) and standing against them in prayer. It is asking God to give words and boldness to His people so that we will tell others about Jesus Christ and what He has done to set us free from the bondage of sin. It is doing what we ought to do as His people and because of His love for us.

APPLY: Paul was in jail when he wrote this encouragement. Most of us are not incarcerated but we are isolated to some degree and restricted. More than ever, Christians need to keep praying. More than ever, I need to keep praying. The time I have left in this world is not nearly as important as being faithful to what God has given me to do with the resources and weapons that came with His gifts of forgiveness and eternal life. No pity parties or concerns about getting old — “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!” (Psalm 150:6)

 

No comments: