October 28, 2020

“We must need it . . . .”

2 Kings 9; Psalm 119:73–96; Hosea 1; 1 Timothy 6

My mother had this wonderful saying that at the time I didn’t pay much attention. She said it mostly when the weather was contrary but at other times as well: “We must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it.” Her words had a profound effect on her life and on my life also.

My mother seldom complained. She was content and accepted both hardship and good times with this relaxed attitude. When dad died and she had to stay in a horrible small room in the hospital until a bed became available in the nursing home, she sat dismayed for a few minutes then said, “I’ve been through a lot; I can handle this too.” I often say that I want to be like her when I grow up.

The Bible speaks of contentment concerning life’s ambitions and in terms of what we have and don’t have. Some thought that being religious would make them rich. To them, God says:

“But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.” (1 Timothy 6:6–10)

My mother knew this. She also believed that if she needed anything, God would give it and if not, she could be content. She would also say amen to these thoughts . . .

“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11–13)

I didn’t realize until she was gone that her ‘annoying at times’ saying had an increasing effect on me. At first, I noticed that I don’t get in a flap about the weather. Rain, shine, snow, summer, none of the extremes bother me even if they upset plans. As she said, I must need this or it would not happen. Soon I connected this to the sovereign power of God. He controls the weather and He knows what I need. Two plus two equals contentment with His decisions.

Not only that, one of the first Bible truths He gave me was this marvelous reality:

“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:28–29)

From this, I realize that no matter what happens, God uses it to transform me into the likeness of Christ. How can I get upset about anything that comes my way? If I didn’t need it, God would not let it happen!

The psalmist wrote about the connection between the power of God and the circumstances of life.

Your hands have made and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn your commandments. Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word. I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. (Psalm 119:73–75)

This person was able to accept affliction because he knew that God is righteous not vindictive. The entire psalm expresses his trust in the Word of God to guide him rightly, to give him life, to avoid destruction. He concludes the above section with, “I have seen a limit to all perfection, but your commandment is exceedingly broad.” (Psalm 119:96) That is, even perfection has limits but the Word of God is unlimited in its scope and value.

APPLY: It is easy to honor my parents, one of the Ten Commandments from God. Even though she died years ago, I can honor her by being content. These days I sometimes fret about ‘short days’ and the challenges of moving slower and not accomplishing much, but I can obey God and honor her by trusting the lord. Whatever I need, God grants it to me, and if I don’t need to slow down, I would not be experiencing this. If I need longer days, He could give them, but more likely He prefers that I be content with whatever I have. Yes, mom. Yes, Jesus.

 

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Thank you, Elsie!