October 20, 2020

God holds the deciding vote

 

2 Kings 1; Psalms 110–111; Daniel 5; 2 Thessalonians 1

Today my laziness comes forward. I just read the story in Daniel about an evil king who defied God and what happened to him because of it. The story is long and I’m not wanting to retell it, just outline that this king was having a party while his enemies were busy diverting his city’s water supply. He was so proud of his power that he thought no one could take him down.

Then, during the party, a hand appeared and wrote something on the wall that scared this king until his knees knocked. Neither he nor his ‘magicians’ and wise men could decipher it. His mother remembered Daniel and Daniel was called in. Again he relied on the Lord who had previously helped him to interpret dreams. This time, it was not a dream but a vivid display of God’s power to reveal His will; He was judging this wicked king. Daniel said:

And this is the writing that was inscribed: Mene, Mene, Tekel, and Parsin. This is the interpretation of the matter: Mene, God has numbered the days of your kingdom and brought it to an end; Tekel, you have been weighed in the balances and found wanting; Peres, your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.” (Daniel 5:25–28)

That very night the king died.

I am reluctant to connect this judgment to contemporary leaders since I don’t know what God plans to do with today’s kings and prime ministers and presidents. However, I do know truths about God and need to APPLY them as I watch the news and wonder about what will happen next. These truths give me confidence in the Lord:

1.  God sets up and takes down leaders. As Daniel said to the king who came before this king, “The Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom he will and sets over it the lowliest of men.” (Daniel 4:17) We are supposed to vote and those who run for office do all they can to win, but God has the final say.

2.  The person God puts in leadership may not look like much. Daniel says, “the lowliest of men” and it is like God to exalt those who are least expected to be given positions of authority. This thought is repeated elsewhere:

“He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and on them he has set the world.” (1 Samuel 2:8)

“He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate.” (Luke 1:52)

“For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:26–29)

3.  Not all leaders are godly yet all are appointed by God and He uses them for His purposes. “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.” (Romans 13:1) In other words, resisting governing authority is resisting the will of God. Resisting Him declares that I do not trust Him or His plan.

4.  God can bring down those He deems wicked because of their pride and their attitude toward Him. While these shortcomings are often obvious, I don’t know for sure what goes in the hearts of others. The Word of God is clear; assuming I know what motivates others is risky and can even be sinful. How many times have I missed the truth about my own motives and thoughts!

5.  Realizing the power of God in setting up and taking down leaders gives me confidence when elections roll around. I vote according to my understanding, yet I trust Him to put into office the person He wants there, whether I agree or not. God has a plan and I know that His plan is right. It may not be for my comfort, but He is far more interested in my character. If it takes ‘hard time’ and even bad leaders to shape me into the image of His Son, then I must accept that, not reluctantly but with joy, knowing that His will is perfect and that He has every right to decide and fulfill His plans personally and globally. Amen.

 

No comments: