October 7, 2020

Cooperating with the Plan

 

1 Kings 10; Psalm 91; Ezekiel 40; Philippians 1

Again today, God’s providence reinforced my “focus for the day” calendar thoughts by using today’s passages from my devotional guide. Those focus thoughts are: “REVERENCE vs. Disrespect, particularly in being aware that God is working through the people and events in my life to produce the character of Christ in me” followed by this verse that King Solomon penned thousands of years ago:

Let not your heart envy sinners but continue in the fear of the LORD all the day. Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off. (Proverbs 23:17–18)

This is a glimpse of Jesus who had no reason to envy anyone and who trusted His Father for everything, including His future — even as He was taken to be crucified. I’m to trust Him to give me that same confidence.

However, there are many more verses that tell me what the Lord is like. He wants me to cooperate with Him in this transformation process. From the biblical story of Solomon’s reign God reminds me where all blessings come from. The queen of Sheba realized it. She saw the wonder of Solomon’s wisdom and wealth and said,

“Blessed be the Lord your God, who has delighted in you and set you on the throne of Israel! Because the Lord loved Israel forever, he has made you king, that you may execute justice and righteousness.” (1 Kings 10:9)

Solomon agreed, but had a problem that comes out in the next chapter. He forgot that all he needed came from the Lord and went after “many foreign women” who led him into idolatry. This warns me to never disrespect the Lord by envying sinners or wanting anything forbidden by God for myself. Such attitudes are a slippery slope and not at all like the character of Christ.

The psalmist says the same thing in a different way. He starts out with affirming that God is his refuge and lists dangers from which the Lord will protect him . . .

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot. (Psalm 91:1–13)

Some will mock this as wishful thinking or say it is about the Messiah and not for everyone. Whatever the practical application, this passage tells me that God CAN do it. I can trust Him to use the situations He puts me in as part of His design to produce Christlike character in me, even the tough situations.

This is verified by the Apostle Paul who writes from prison saying to Christians:

Let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. (Philippians 1:27–30)

Paul was joyful even in prison for his faith. He was certain that God had begun a good work in His people and would finish it (verse 6). The Gospel was being preached and even though he was eager to be with Jesus, he was glad to remain for their sake. He was totally convinced that God had begun a good work in them and would finish what He started.

APPLY: All this goes back to today’s focus thoughts. Stick to trusting God. He will do His will in me and in His people. Keep praying for them and for His glory. Worship Him with all my heart!

 

No comments: