October 23, 2020

A to-do list that magnifies God?

 

2 Kings 4; Psalm 116; Daniel 8; 1 Timothy 1

What is God like? How can someone we cannot see be described? By what He does and by what His servants do? The answers are both easy and difficult.

Elisha, in the power of God, enabled a widow to pay a debt by multiplying the small bit of oil she had. God also enabled a barren woman to have a child and when he died prematurely, He raised him to life. He uses His prophet to purify a stew that had something poisonous in it, and multiplied food to feed more than it normally would. God never stands back or wrings His hands; He involves Himself in the lives of those who need help.

The psalmist says: “I love the Lord because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live.” God hears and answers those who cry for mercy.

This psalmist also said, “The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me . . . For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling . . . .” (Psalm 116:1-8) God preserves life, comforts those who sorrow, guides those who are on a difficult path. He deeply cares about people.

God also gives hope to those who are devoted to Him.

In the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar a vision appeared to me, Daniel, after that which appeared to me at the first . . . And I, Daniel, was overcome and lay sick for some days. Then I rose and went about the king’s business, but I was appalled by the vision and did not understand it. (Daniel 8:1-27)

Even though the chapter ‘interprets’ the vision, God does not fully explain it. It seems that the Bible gives all sorts of clues about the end times but no one correctly figures them out. We see events that might fit the clues, then they don’t work out and our guesses prove to be wrong. Perhaps the explanation is more clearly understood after the vision is fulfilled but because He keeps His promises, His people are encouraged to keep on working. God reveals just what we need to know to live for Him in the now! His words to us are practical.

To this, the New Testament says we are not to go on and on about future things, not speculating or guessing what He is going to do next week, next year and so on but focus on His revelation for the present . . .

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions. (1 Timothy 1:3–7)

God isn’t a fortune teller. He is clear about how to live. His people are to love Him and love others, keeping our faith and conscience in order each day. Besides, knowing the future would likely result in us trying to control it!

APPLY: The bottom line is that God is love and I am to be like Him. He doesn’t give out information about the future unless it promotes how I’m to live right now. I’m to be like Him. The Law tells me how and Jesus Christ tells me how. He gives me His precious Self enabling me to obey Him. To blab on and on about the future is not like God so I’m not to do that. Also, I’m to love people from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and in faith. In other words, God reveals who He is by acting according to His character and wisdom. I’m to live the same way — living according to the new life He has given me, relying on His wisdom and sharing with people what they need to know so they can live according to how their Creator designed them . . . in His image and to reflect that image. This is a lofty thought, a noble task, a huge challenge, yet it elevates my sense of purpose and gives me an incredible focus for everything that winds up on my to-do list!

 

No comments: