October 10, 2020

Coping with Covid-19

 

1 Kings 13; Psalms 95–96; Ezekiel 43; Philippians 4

Our grandson says he is “sick of Covid-19” as do many others. The news is filled with warnings, statistics, doom and gloom. This plague is tied to everything including politics, sports, economic issues, education, and religion. It puts fear into many hearts, either the threat of getting it or the constant focus on it.

As usual, the Word of God has much to say about dealing with the cares of life. My focus verse for today started off my thinking:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)

At first, this passage is usually met by, “You got to be kidding!” but as life happens and God works, this becomes a precious truth — because God proves even awful trials have a positive outcome for those who realize their purpose. Covid-19 is not an exception.

As this pandemic continues, we realize more and more our helplessness to control it and in helplessness we are wise to consider how to make the best of it. At first, parents found more time to interact with their children. Couples spent more time together. Many were amazed at how much they could accomplish when in semi-isolation. One person told me, “I’m actually saving money because I cannot go anywhere to spend it.”

But now, many are wearing thin. Will this end soon? Will we have to wear masks the rest of our lives? Why are the number of cases rising? When can I visit my family and friends? Those words about steadfastness put a bit of a knot in many stomachs.

Today I read the one huge truth that has given me peace during this craziness. Paul writes:

Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. (Philippians 3:17–4:1)

Knowing that when I die (not if I die) I will be with Jesus makes a huge difference in steadfast patience. It could be Covid-19 that takes me home, or getting hit by a truck, or a heart attack, but whatever way He chooses, one day I will leave this place and be transformed, fully like Him and in perfection forever. This is my firm place.

Paul isn’t done. He says, “Don’t worry” but backs it up with how to not worry:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4–7)

This is a choice. It is also a determination. I can fuss and stew or I can turn my thoughts to the fact that Jesus is beside me and listening to me. When I take my concerns to Him with a thankful attitude, He pours peace into my heart. It makes no sense until it happens and when it does, I know it’s possible to also be joyful in trials. Jesus is remarkable!

He also grants contentment and that is also about choosing Him over trying to manage by myself “for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11–13) and like Paul, I’ve learned that because God keeps “supplying every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (verse 19) He takes care of everything.

APPLY: Trusting in Jesus is the answer to coping with anything, even the threats of a pandemic. If I die, that is a plus — I will be with Jesus. If I live, that is okay too. If I take my concerns to Him, He replaces them with peace. I can wear a mask and obey the other ‘rules’ without fuss rather than upset those who are paranoid and can still be content because Jesus is holding my hand. Right now, all I want is for the world to know that Jesus is the Lord of all, even over fears, viruses and pandemonium — and we can trust Him with everything.

 

1 comment:

Darrell said...

A great devotional "for a time such as this".