October 29, 2020

Being a good granny

 

2 Kings 10–11; Psalm 119:97–120; Hosea 2; 2 Timothy 1

In today’s readings, the devotional focus is on two grandmothers. One was evil and the other was godly. The first is Athaliah, the utterly vile mother of Ahaziah, the king of Judah who was killed by Jehu. Of all the responses any queen mother might take if her son was assassinated, hers was not on my radar. She commands the palace guard to kill her dead son’s children and grandchildren to secure power for herself. Only one grandson, an infant named Joash, was rescued by an aunt and hidden with his nurse.

This is a horrible deed. I can imagine myself going after a bear that was mauling one of my children, but to go after my grandchildren is beyond comprehension. However, Athaliah’s power trip didn’t last long. When Joash was seven-years old, Jehoiada the priest had him declared the rightful king. This priest was determined to keep the Davidic line in power and protected the boy with loyal military units.

When the grandmother discovered this plot, she cried, “Treason!” reminding me that power-hungry people will attack those who try to hold them accountable. Not too long ago, I tried to correct someone who was misleading his customers and he turned around and started calling me names as if I were doing the same thing. Power-hungry people can easily lose their perspective.

This grab for power didn’t work for Athaliah. She was put to death and the little king was protected while Jehoiada renewed the covenant with the Lord and destroyed idol altars and images.

The second grandmother is Lois, mentioned in 2 Timothy 1:5, a letter Paul wrote to a young pastor. He said:

“I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.” (2 Timothy 1:5)

How they passed on their faith is not described, but I am reminded of my sister. She has several grandchildren and at her funeral, they took turns sharing how she influenced them to follow Jesus. Their testimony to their Nana still brings tears of joy to my heart. Her faith, like Lois, was sincere and became their faith too.

The devotional says, “Not all women are as evil as Athaliah; not all are as faithful as Lois and Eunice.” It adds that both men and women, whether at home, work, or even in church, can get tangled up in power trips. This may not mean murder but can involve all sorts of ways to ‘get my way’ and wrap other people around their fingers.

For me, being powerless is a patience builder but not always. This morning I woke early and looked forward to an early start only to be interrupted by a computer problem my hubby was having. The interruption could have been anything, like a telephone call, a power outage, spilling a glass of water, or biting into a rotten grape, but annoyance was verbal. This revealed my plans to govern my day were too important. I should be trusting the Lord to lead me rather than my own understanding (see Proverbs 3:5-6).

Subtle sin? Yes, but Jesus makes a clear point: “The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)

APPLY: The New Testament says in the last days there will be people who have “the appearance of godliness but deny its power.” It also says this which I’ve personalized and paraphrased:

For I am called to freedom, only do not use my freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve others. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “I shall love others as myself.” But if I bite and devour instead of lovingly serve, watch out that this does not destroy my freedom. But God says, walk by My Spirit, and I will not gratify the desires of my selfish old nature. (Galatians 5:13–16)

Wanting my own way is certainly on that list of selfish desires. Walking in the Spirit means confessing this, asking Jesus to fill the empty spaces that do not honor Him, and listening for His leading rather than trying to control my to-do list.

 

No comments: