September 4, 2020

Winning some battles means first surrendering . . .

1 Samuel 28; Psalm 45; Ezekiel 7; 1 Corinthians 9

A few years ago I wrote a poem about temptation using chocolate cake as the object of my affection. Since then, I discovered that taking magnesium supplements removed the lure of chocolate. I still like it but no longer crave it. However, the desire to eat too much often looms. This week, my focus verses have twice told me to deal with this issue:

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:24–27)

The first focus page gave this description: “Discipline my body and bring it into subjection lest the desires of the flesh ruin me for service by pulling me into such sin as lust, idolatry, or complaining.”

The second instance said this: “Trust Christ to control all natural desires and appetites lest I be ruined for service by over-indulgence.”

Putting the two thoughts together explains how self-control in the Bible is different from that ‘grit your teeth and say no’ self-control that most of us associate with the term. Scripture describes it as a fruit of the Holy Spirit, meaning that when I am living according to or in the power of God’s Spirit, I will not be doing the selfish and fleshy things that come from my old nature.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)

This Holy Spirit controlled life is natural, not governed by rules or laws. Love flows out without thinking “I must love this person” and joy, peace and the other qualities listed are just the way I am, without trying. My part is to cooperate, not let the flesh determine how I react to issues and people.

For me, the areas of temptation to run my own life are the last two. I can be harsh and unthinking when it comes to my reactions to those who step on my toes, but the worst is self-control. I must say NO to harshness but also to a second helping of pie or to eating something salty when salt is bad for my heart.

I know I cannot be loving all the time without Jesus. I know that He is the source of that deep joy and peace that is almost unnatural even in trouble and bad situations. I also know that He gives patience and every other quality in this list, but when it comes to staying out of the frig, my desire to munch takes over. I’m not obese, but I easily could be.

Some of the problem is controlled by having a pacemaker to control a severe A-Fib and the fact that if I gain even two pounds, it takes a toll on my energy level. However, this is not the biblical reason for being self-controlled. It is so I will be always ready, willing and able to serve others. Self-control covers all sorts of indulgences and excuses. Without it, doing my own thing will wipe out doing anything for others and for Jesus.

APPLY: I can pray to be filled with the Spirit after confessing all known sin. God is telling me to include the sin of self-indulgence when it comes to excesses at the dinner table, or whenever I feel like munching on something that my body does not need. This is a battle that requires surrender — before it even starts.

 

1 comment:

Darrell said...

I would have a hard time saying, "NO"!