September 9, 2020

How can I please God?

2 Samuel 3; Psalm 51; Ezekiel 12; 1 Corinthians 14

 The Old Testament tells how a leader of the eleven tribes not yet under David had killed the brother of one of David’s men in battle. This man also appointed one of Saul’s family as king over those tribes, but he revealed a desire for his own power by his actions. He seemed to be for David when he vowed to take the remaining tribes over to him but he didn’t get an opportunity to rule anything — the brother of the man he killed murdered him in revenge.

How did David handle all this? He distanced himself from what the brother did, which pleased all the people, but he did not take action against him. He was responsible as king to deal with murderers. This shirking of his duty happened later with one of his sons, triggering a revolt in another son and because of it, David nearly lost his throne. David learned the hard way that God is not pleased when His people abdicate biblically mandated orders.

Yet the Bible calls David “a man after God’s own heart” which begs the question — how can that be true? The answer is in Psalm 51 where David prays after his sin concerning Bathsheba:

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. (Psalm 51:1–4)

God makes it clear that my perfection is not the issue. Sin already ruined that possibility. Instead, He looks for a heart that seeks Him. David knew this and prayed, “For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (Psalm 51:16–17) The same words are repeated elsewhere:

“When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:17–18)

For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.” (Isaiah 57:15)

“ . . . . But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” (Isaiah 66:2)

The common idea is that God wants sinners to smarten up, to strive for good behavior and do good to others. While this is not false, it is not what makes His people distinctive. Instead, the people of God are marked by humility and the full realization that we fall short. We confess our sins rather than ‘trying harder’ and rely on His grace and compassion, knowing that only by the power of the Holy Spirit are we able to do His will.

Therefore David was given that desirable label. He was a man of God because he fit the description of righteousness that God wants. He made mistakes. He sinned. But he sought the will of God and forgiveness knowing that he fell short and could never clean up his own heart — God must do it and God, by His amazing grace, always does.

APPLY: Today I am totally thankful again for the grace of God. I fall short but He carries me. In my weakness and sinfulness, I cannot be what I want to be, never mind reach the perfections of the Lord, but He is my refuge and strength, my strong tower and hiding place. By His great love, all my sin and shortfall is forgiven and the purity and excellence needed is freely given to me in His Son, Jesus Christ. God is an awesome God!

 

No comments: