September 17, 2020

Sometimes Sorrow is Better than Joy

2 Samuel 13; Psalms 66–67; Ezekiel 20; 2 Corinthians 6

 I woke in an odd mood. No bad dreams, nothing negative happened, but I soon realized that this unusual sense of gloom was God’s way to help me appreciate what He wants me to see from His Word.

Though they are good kids, I have been a long time lamenting the mistakes I made raising my children. When I opened today’s file, the quote from yesterday was in my face: “Stop trying to remember the things that God has already forgiven.” Then the Lord gave me something to consider about those mistakes and what He was trying to teach me . . .

Moreover, I gave you statutes that were not good and rules by which you could not have life, and I defiled you through your very gifts in offering up your firstborn, that I might devastate you. I did it that you might know that I am the Lord. (Ezekiel 20:25–26, personalized)

Pride wants to do all things perfectly. Because of my pride, God wanted me to realize that His standards are too high. By myself, I could not reach them. Even as a young Christian in those days, I relied more on me and had not learned to rely on God for all things.

He gave me another passage to remind me that it is okay to feel badly about my own efforts and past (and present) selfishness, but also to remind me that He has not dealt with me as I deserve . . .

And there you shall remember your ways and all your deeds with which you have defiled yourselves, and you shall loathe yourselves for all the evils that you have committed. And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I deal with you for my name’s sake, not according to your evil ways, nor according to your corrupt deeds, O house of Israel, declares the Lord God.” (Ezekiel 20:43–44)

The psalmist explains further . . .

Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul. I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me! (Psalm 66:16–20)

My “cherished iniquity” should have stopped God’s ears, but He still listens. He never stops loving me. I make mistakes and want my own way, but He knows what is best and even listens to the cries of my heart when those cries sound like me, me, me. He has patiently and repeatedly shown me to rely on Him and not my own understanding. He has granted me grace to trust Jesus more and more and myself less and less.

I cannot handle adversity on my own, but reading Paul’s story I again see the power of God and am thankful that He has taken me through some of the same things (not all, but some) that I might realize His power and trust Him instead of vainly trusting myself . . .

. . . We appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. For he says, “In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. We put no obstacle in anyone’s way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry, but as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: by great endurance, in afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, sleepless nights, hunger; by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, the Holy Spirit, genuine love; by truthful speech, and the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and for the left; through honor and dishonor, through slander and praise. We are treated as impostors, and yet are true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything. We have spoken freely to you . . . . our heart is wide open. You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted in your own affections. In return (I speak as to children) widen your hearts also. (2 Corinthians 6:1–13)

APPLY: Life can be filled with hardships but the grace of God gives endurance, understanding, patience, and all godly responses as I trust Him instead of myself. Widen my heart —in Christ, I can do all things — and be joyful because of Him.

 

 

No comments: