September 14, 2020

Vows and to-do lists . . .

 

2 Samuel 10; Psalms 60–61; Ezekiel 17; 2 Corinthians 3

While not exactly vows, most of my life I’ve been making decisions to do certain things. Some have become good habits; others have not worked out. I was encouraged yesterday as I went through a collection of ‘tips’ for making life easier. Some of those clippings were nearly thirty years old. The delight came as I realized I could have written many of them because these time or money saving ideas are now part of my life.

As I read and tossed them, I did find a few that seemed important to keep. Realizing new habits are not as easy to establish as they used to be, I’ve been wondering how to best incorporate these tips into daily life. This morning one of David’s psalms gave me another tip:

“So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.” (Psalm 61:8)

What a good idea! One of those clippings contained the following tip for making the day go well: “I put Christian music on and it keeps me in good spirits all day.” Another one said, “I read my Bible every day.”

Even though this is great, the above quote suggests the reality: carrying out good intentions is not always easy. When days go well, getting things done seems easy. When troubles come or even unexpected events, sticking to a vow or even an ordinary plan is not as easy. Another psalm says this:

“Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Psalm 50:14–15)

Those bad days call for thanksgiving — which always reminds me of the power of God to use even troubles for my good. In them, I can be shaped into the image of Christ, His goal for all His people. That is a far more important to-do item than anything I can put on a daily list. The Lord’s purpose for all of life, whether He delivers me quickly or not, is that I glorify Him.

In the New Testament, vows were like the OT promises signified by certain actions, such as shaving one’s head. However, whatever shows up externally, a vow is a solemn promise to give one’s self to the Lord and serve Him only. This is also expressed in this verse:

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

APPLY: As I think about today’s tasks, they easily fall into this “whatever you do” description and therefore become possible ways to glorify God. Even if others are not around to see what I do in carrying out and completing those plans, I can still sing praises to the Lord and be thankful, giving Him glory.

 

No comments: