September 11, 2020

What about Worship Styles?

 

2 Samuel 6; Psalm 55; Ezekiel 14; 1 Corinthians 16

Our church members are mostly conservative in worship. Some will move with the music. Others will raise their hands. There is no jumping or dancing and I imagine if anyone became extremely exuberant some would frown or express their disapproval. As I read David’s experience in bringing the ark of God from where the Philistines gave it back to the Israelites, I wondered if this was a rebuke to those of us whose worship style is less energetic.

First, David did not consider this merely a task for a few of Israel’s religious leaders. David the King gathered 30,000 chosen men and went with them. He and “all the house of Israel were celebrating before the Lord, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals.” (2 Samuel 6:5)

On the way, the oxen pulling the cart that carried the ark stumbled and one of the men reached out to steady it with no regard for God’s command not to touch it. This man died for his irreverence and “David was afraid of the Lord that day, and he said, ‘How can the ark of the Lord come to me?’” (2 Samuel 6:9) Instead of finishing the journey, he left the ark at the house of Obed-edom. That man was blessed for three months because of it. When David found out, he was encouraged to finish the task.

“So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom to the city of David with rejoicing. And when those who bore the ark of the Lord had gone six steps, he sacrificed an ox and a fattened animal. And David danced before the Lord with all his might. And David was wearing a linen ephod. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the horn.” (2 Samuel 6:12–15)

When it was put in place in a tent that David pitched for it, “David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the Lord. And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord of hosts and distributed among all the people, the whole multitude of Israel, both men and women, a cake of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins to each one.” This was a huge celebration.

After this, everyone went home, including David, but when Michal (the daughter of Saul) came out to meet him, she way sarcastic and angry: “How the king of Israel honored himself today, uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants’ female servants, as one of the vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”

Was this warranted? Not according to the king. He replied:

“It was before the Lord, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord—and I will celebrate before the Lord. I will make myself yet more contemptible than this, and I will be abased in your eyes. But by the female servants of whom you have spoken, by them I shall be held in honor.”

And David’s worship was not condemned by God but his wife’s attitude was — Michal was childless the rest of her life. (2 Samuel 6:17–23)

APPLY: David’s example says several things to me. First, reverence for God is a serious matter. The man who touched the ark never gave it a thought and paid the price. How many people take the name of the Lord in vain without giving it a thought? How many stick OMG on their social media posts without thinking? That is the point — no reverence. Yet rather than looking down my nose at them, I need to pay attention to my own thoughtless remarks and, like David, fear and respect the Lord. This is important.

Second, I should never judge, belittle or make fun of those who worship with great enthusiasm. Sometimes some of their activities seem like attention-getting but I don’t know that. It could be that their hearts are just filled with joy and delight at the wonder of God — and they must express it. Just because I am less emotional does not mean everyone should be like me.

Third, I need to consider why I’m more like Michal and less like David. Was her background one of personal dignity and ceremony rather than heartfelt expression of love for God? Was she more concerned about what others thought of her than being God-centered? And what motivates me? And how does peer pressure keep me from being so in love with the Lord that the opinions of others never enter my head? I know that God isn’t specific about worship styles but He does care about what motivates my heart in the ways I honor Him.

 

No comments: