September 1, 2020

Spiritual Battles

 

1 Samuel 25; Psalms 40–41; Ezekiel 4; 1 Corinthians 6

The past few days have been challenging. I recognize that my spiritual enemy was using several events and ideas to discourage me from talking to God. Why is that? Because the Lord is graciously answering prayer, some are enormous requests. The devil does not want that to happen and knows he cannot stop God so he tries to stop me. It seems that he can see ahead too, because had I given in to his taunts and lies, I would not be able to pray for the things that dropped in today as huge prayer needs.

One is the need of a family member which I cannot share. The second is the needs of a dear friend whose sister had a massive stroke while going about ordinary life. Her quick-thinking young daughter and a quick response by ambulance services saved this woman’s life. The third is a friend whose spouse has just asked for a divorce. All need prayer and the gracious blessings of God in their lives.

David’s prayers in the psalms are said to be literary compositions, not spontaneous ad hoc cries of help or praise. Some are poetry used as music. The two I read this morning contain thoughts that mirror my thoughts and are an encouragement to my own situation. Composed or spontaneous, they come across as cries from the heart. This is the way of the Word of God; those cries often match my own. He speaks through the openhearted expressions of holy men who were filled with His Spirit. Far from being ancient or unrelated to modern times, these words draw me into prayer with hope.

I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie! You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told. (Psalm 40:1–5)

Jesus never fails to deliver me from the devices of that enemy who wants to lure me into sin, accuse me of all sorts of truths, half-truths, and outright lies, and make me feel as if God does not hear, care, or love me. Yet the LORD even uses His deliverance of me to convince others to trust Him. How amazing.

He blesses my resistance to the Liar and multiplies His blessing toward me so that I cannot help but share what He is doing with others. His faithfulness and mercy are always there for those who seek Him.

There is much more said, but the bottom line for me today is the ending of the next psalm:

By this I know that you delight in me: my enemy will not shout in triumph over me. But you have upheld me because of my integrity (integrity is a gift from Jesus) and set me in your presence forever. Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen. (Psalm 41:11–13, my words in italics)

APPLY: As said, prayer burdens me and I’ve prayed, but heavy loads are not always immediately lifted. David “waited patiently for the LORD.” As someone said, when God answers prayer, He is building my faith. When He does not answer prayer, He is building my patience. Either way, to Him be glory for I know that no matter what happens, His purposes will win over the enemy’s schemes. Amen!

 

No comments: