September 22, 2020

Remember Gideon?

2 Samuel 18; Psalm 73; Ezekiel 25; 2 Corinthians 11

How should I react to the latest news: A Messianic Jewish rabbi believes the United States is being greatly shaken and may soon pass the point of no return without large-scale repentance . . .  

Last week, evangelist Franklin Graham, President and CEO of Samaritan's Purse, discussed his upcoming prayer march, the current political atmosphere and national unrest. He speaks of a boiling point, and that politicians often exploit the current events, but says neither party can resolve the issues at hand. “Republicans cannot fix it; Democrats cannot fix it. Only God can! . . . . the U.S. is crumbling.” He adds the need is for repentance and calling on God . . .  

Another news source says a poll reveals the average voter believes the country is on “the edge of civil war.” Dozens of Midwest churches are holding an event that calls for spiritual revival, a national Great Awakening and a renewed commitment for Christians to “bless Israel” that God may also have mercy on America before it’s too late . . .

Closer to home, many of the churches in our city struggle with an atmosphere of fear and other issues that have side-tracked their congregations from zeal for Christ to self-protection and declining commitment to the Body of Christ (which is the church) by not showing up in the building (which isn’t the church). It seems that Covid-19 has done more than bring out fear and the desire for total control of our lives. It has also revealed what we value the most. In some cases it also reveals our failure to remember the God who can do a lot with a little. Remember Gideon? Remember the five loaves and two fishes?

It’s easy for me to talk. I’m healthy, comfortable and keeping busy. I can come and go without fear because Jesus has removed my fear of death and replaced it with the knowledge that when it is my time to go, I will go, whether a virus gets me, or a heart attack, or I get hit by a truck. (But I don’t play in traffic!)

Why this lack of concern?

It is because of God and the amazing power He reveals in Scripture and in life. I am a sinner who, without Him, would be pridefully doing my own thing and messing up my life. Apart from faith in Jesus Christ, this world would be annoying to say the least and I’d be ranting and complaining all the time instead of being filled with joy and thankfulness.

Every day I come to the Word of God with desire to hear Him speak to my situation, concerns and doubts — and He does — every day for fifty years! He never fails me. When I’ve felt alone and betrayed, He’s given me assurances that sound like this:

Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. (Psalm 73:23–25)

When my heart went into a-fib, He gave me this prayer: “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)

As I watch the world being bound up in fear and crippled by the inability to control a virus, God says things like: “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” (2 Timothy 1:7)

No matter my situation, God’s Word answers it, sometimes in devotional reading, sometimes in the Sunday service. How can I walk away from either one? I need Him. He is my refuge, my hiding place but also my strength to move forward in confident living. My worst enemy is not loss of freedom and being told I must social-distance and wear a mask; it is letting my emotions interfere with listening to God. In personal communion with the Lord, I know what to do, what to avoid, and how to think. I don’t always do what I’m told (I am a spoiled brat in His family) but even rebellion becomes a lesson — taught by His loving care and discipline.

APPLY: Whatever else, I’m praying for revival. I realize this must begin with me and with the people of God. We hold the fate of our world in our hands — when those hands are clasped together in prayer . . .

When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. (2 Chronicles 7:13–15) AMEN!

 

No comments: