September 29, 2020

True Freedom

 

1 Kings 1; Psalm 80; Ezekiel 32; Galatians 5

Yesterday’s post was about people liking rules. They give us a sense of knowing what to do next, of structure to our lives, even though the Bible says this is “walking in the flesh” and leads to death.

On the other hand, walking in the Spirit is scary. It means letting God call the shots and even though He never leads us contrary to His Law, our next step, the next hour or day is not predictable. Yet I must face that reality; whether I walk in the Spirit or in the flesh, I cannot predict what happens next anyway!

Last night we went to bed looking forward to a good night of sleep. Around midnight I was jolted awake by sirens and flashing red lights. Two fire trucks and an ambulance were right outside our bedroom window. A neighbor’s door was open and six firemen were on her step. This unexpected interruption seemed to end well, but it wasn’t part of my plan for the night! Such is life.

When I read this verse this morning, I thought about the unexpected events and the choices I face as a Christian:

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1)

Walking in the Spirit is freedom for several reasons. One is that now I have choices. Before becoming a Christian, I lived as a slave. Most people would think the opposite, that freedom is being able to do whatever we want to do and Christianity is bondage because ‘you can’t do this and you can’t do that’ but this is not a biblical idea. As an unsaved sinner, sin was my only option. I could not do the will of God even if I wanted to — but I didn’t want to, and that is slavery . . .

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10–12)

There are ‘religious’ sinners who piously go about life with rules that have them convinced they are godly, but this ‘righteousness’ without Christ is slavery to rules. It is also a life without genuine choices because a person without Christ cannot and will not choose anything but their own ideas of how to live.

When I became a Christian, I was set free in that now I can choose. The New Testament is full of encouragement to make godly choices, to choose righteousness, to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. (Galatians 5:13)

Actually, even this ‘freedom’ is a bondage. God says that we become slaves to whatever we serve, whether sin, rules, or His Holy Spirit. This is where faith comes in. I will serve that which I trust. If I trusted sinful activities to give me the best life ever, then I would serve that, but when Christ came into my life, I began to understand that sin is deadly and obeying God gives me the best life ever, as well as eternal life.

This means that when God tells me to love others, to pray without ceasing, to seek His face, and a host of other things, I can choose that or choose to focus on me, never ask Him about anything or never bless others, and so on. Living like that does not mean I’ve lost my salvation, but it certainly indicates that I’ve lost something.

After encouraging Christians to add virtues to their faith, Peter reveals what this loss involves:

For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. (2 Peter 1:8–9, italics mine)

APPLY: Being with other Christians is important because even those who have “forgotten” who they are remind me to remember who I am. Those whose eyes are open and who walk in the Spirit are a tremendous boost and encourage me to make godly choices and use my freedom in Christ as wisely as possible. This pandemic isolation is not good for fellowship. However, some Christians are grumbling rather than joyfully trusting the Lord. I want to choose the Spirit and be filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control rather than focus on me, me, me and be a discouragement to those around me. I thank God for His power to produce that which my self-serving flesh could never do. I’m so thankful for His grace and mercy.

 

No comments: