August 12, 2019

The Power of Forgiveness


I try to imagine being in jail wrongly accused. I try to imagine time spent with another inmate who is there for good reason. I try to imagine leading that prisoner to faith in Christ only to find out that this person was an employee of a dear friend, one who is now upset that this person’s crime was committed against him. What would I do?

I might side with my friend and come down on that prisoner. I might be frustrated with the justice system. I might even be upset that my Christian friend must deal with this matter. Does the friend forgive the jailbird or does the friend have every right to stay angry?

Paul writes to Philemon from prison, a letter not to a church but to another Christian. He does not tell his friend what to do but his letter takes the form of asking a favor. His reason is that both he and his friend have a good relationship with Christ and with each other. Even though the prisoner, a man named Onesimus, was once a slave working for Philemon who was worthy of punishment, Paul asked his friend to forgive him. He wanted this former slave received, “not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved,” indicating this slave was now a believer in Christ.

I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment. (Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.) I am sending him back to you, sending my very heart. I would have been glad to keep him with me, in order that he might serve me on your behalf during my imprisonment for the gospel, but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own accord. For this perhaps is why he was parted from you for a while, that you might have him back forever, no longer as a bondservant but more than a bondservant, as a beloved brother—especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord. (Philemon 10–16)

Paul shows the heart of God and the reality of sins forgiven. When God Almighty forgives, how can any of us hang on to unforgiveness or retaliation? Sadly, we do. Paul didn’t want that.

Paul not only forgave and requested that Philemon forgives, he was willing to cover whatever Onesimus had done. He had confidence that his friend would do the same so wrote this also:

If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it—to say nothing of your owing me even your own self. Yes, brother, I want some benefit from you in the Lord. Refresh my heart in Christ. Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. (Philemon 18–21)

Last night I had a vivid dream of a wrong committed against me. In my dream, my anger was extreme and murderous. I took action to get even. The dream was just a dream, but it depicted actual and hurtful events — except the retaliation part. Yet isn’t holding a grudge or being angry or not talking to that person just one way of getting even?

God is not like that. When He forgives, He loves the person forgiven. There is no grudge, no anger, no retaliation. He justifies sinners — acts toward us ‘just as if’ we had never sinned. We are taken into His home and His family without any regard at all to the sins we have committed. Repentance happens, but only because God is so gracious!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is a good thought for today. You have wiped clean my life. All is forgiven because You took all my sin and gave me Your righteousness. I am so blessed. Today, I am going to worship You because You love me and have taken me out of the bondage of sin and guilt into the glorious freedom of being Your child, Your servant.

Today’s thankful list . . .
God does not retaliate.
Knowing I am forgiven.
Being loved and included in God’s family.
My hubby who takes me to fabric shops and even comes in and tells me what he likes.
Supper and a good visit with friends.
BBQed salmon on a plank.
Sunshine and looking forward to going home.



No comments: