August 19, 2019

God surprises me again


Yesterday was unusual. We went to church and I worshiped God, then we went to the horse races and I worshiped God.

The morning worship was conscious, deliberate, focused. The afternoon worship was more like breathing; it just happened, without effort or focus. I hardly realized it was happening until reading this passage from the New Testament and thinking about the crowd around me yesterday. And it was a crowd. They were in town to watch the main race — the Canadian Derby.

We don’t bet on the races, but I grew up with horses and love to watch those animals run. Most of the others in this crowd were trying to pick winners. For some, this was entertainment, yet many appeared to be desperate, living on their last dollar or borrowed money. Signs of addiction showed on many faces. I was aware of decayed morals but at the same time felt no critical judgment toward anyone. That is not like me. Today I’m wondering what Jesus felt like when He was surrounded by people lost in sin. Was it something like what I was feeling? Is this a lesson I need to learn? His teaching methods are often a surprise!

Today’s Bible reading describes the contrast between my old life and now. Jesus touches me gently with the reason I can be in a situation like that without a sense of condemnation for myself or for anyone else.

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:1–9)

Apart from the grace of God and the gift of salvation, every person on this planet is dead in sin, wittingly or unwittingly guided by Satan and his evil helpers to do that which is self-centered and sinful. I’ve been there and done that. Even though I am “made alive” in Christ, sin is still an enemy to be reckoned with and Satan is a foe that can trip me up. This happens too often so I am amazed at yesterday’s experience. I never expected to be in a crowd of sinners and not fall into their motivations and activities, or fall into judging them harshly and putting myself on a pedestal. I never expected to feel compassion without pity or genuine interest in them without criticism. I feel deeply aware that this state of grace was not and never will be my own doing. Jesus Christ made me alive in Him and I marvel how He can make this real.

In horse racing, the prize goes to the swift but in people the prize is decided entirely by God. God will do what He will do with people. I do not understand why He showed mercy and kindness to me. He calls for my cooperation yet having a willing heart is also due to His transforming power.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord God, while all this happened yesterday, I’m filled with gratitude and joy today that I could talk to so many strangers with interest in them and their lives and not be smug or self-righteous. That is You at work and for me it is also worship. Your blessings are sometime unexpected and this time, it was the blessing of feeling totally alive in a situation where I once would not have so powerfully realized Your grace.

Today’s thankful list . . .
The amazing and sometimes surprising grace of God.
Spending part of today with two lovely young Christian women.
Making progress on a charity project.
A happy phone call from my younger brother.
Being able to buy fresh produce.
Cod fillets and peach pie (not on the same plate).
Sunshine again!

No comments: