August 30, 2019

No complaining . . . none . . .


My daughter once said that she finally figured out what is wrong with the world: “Everybody is selfish.” Wise words for a young girl. I already knew how selfish I can be. God is working on that. Also, it is not hard to find more examples.

For instance, in our city, a young man applied for a babysitting job. The parent had already hired someone else and he was not accepted. Instead of continuing to look for work, he filed a human rights complaint that he was being discriminated against based on family status, because he had no children. He earlier filed another complaint of discrimination based on age and gender when another job was cancelled.

This complaint seems like too much focus in the wrong place. Complaining in general usually gives evidence of ‘me, myself and I’ being the center of the universe. Besides that, every time I complain it is rooted in not agreeing with the decisions and actions of the Sovereign God that I claim to worship. Really. If God is sovereign, then all that happens is under His will and permission — so who am I to bellyache about what He is doing? Today’s reading is blunt yet also gives good reason to not gripe about anything:

Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world. (Philippians 2:14–15)

I know a few very shiny people. One of them is the man who heads up brunch in our church. He is not young, walks with a shuffle, has thirteen stents for heart issues, was on dialysis a few months ago for kidney failure (and remarkably recovered) and has other health issues. He goes once a week to Costco to buy food and other brunch supplies, looks for bargains elsewhere (we feed several hundred people each Sunday), is responsible for giving financial reports, has a wife who leads a thriving ministry for single moms and helps her with that, and makes meals for various groups that meet in our building. This man never complains about anything. He actually glows.

I read yesterday a news clip from a celebrity that said, “Try going one whole day without criticizing someone.” It is like the above Scripture verses and prompt me: “Try and go an entire day without complaining or arguing about anything.” This is God’s challenge to me.

It goes deeper. These verses also challenge my faith. Do I really believe in God’s sovereignty? That He knows what He is doing? This is not an exercise in self-control of the mouth. It is a test of what I think about Almighty God. Can I be content and happy, no matter what happens? If I really trust Him, I should never grumble.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this had been an emotional week. A near-death situation, constant prayer, a remarkable answer that brought recovery, some personal issues with another person that taught me much, You know all this and the rest of life’s challenges. I’ve no idea what today will bring, but I do believe that You are in charge and that I can trust You. Will that be tested today with negatives that could bring grumbling or disputing? I hope not, yet no matter what, grant me the grace to remember You — and remember to shine so that You are glorified.

Today’s thankful list . . .
God’s goodness.
Made a few goof-ups with my sewing machine and didn’t gripe.
Hearing others give thanks.
Life made easier because of a Google alarm that is easy to set.
My hubby had a good golf game on this day off work.
Angel food cake with peaches and ice cream.

No comments: