August 15, 2019

The ongoing war is already won!


Too often I forget that the Christian life is a war. The peace of God and the love He pours into our lives tends to obscure any form of battle, yet the battle is not in my imagination. I just need to read the news or pay close attention to my own struggles to realize there are evil forces that want to lure me into sin and into forgetting the power of God over the evil in the world.

The New Testament book of Acts records some of the demonic activity happening in the city of Ephesus. God did miracles using Paul to heal the sick and send evil spirits out of many. Seven sons of a high priest tried to use the same tactics in the name of Jesus and an evil spirit challenged them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?” This demonic creature and those with him over-powered the seven who fled naked and wounded. This became known to all the residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks who were fearful yet lifted the name of Jesus. Believers began confessing their activities with magic arts and made a bonfire of their books, fifty thousand pieces of silver worth. And the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail. (Acts 19:11–20)

Yet the problem of demonic activity continued. Satan and his cohorts were confronted with truth and the power of God; they were not going to give up easily. With those threats still happening, Paul wrote from prison telling the church how they could battle their enemies:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:10–20)

This powerful passage is one of my favorites. It tells me that I do not have to yield to the enemy’s lies nor be weak when attacked. My weapon is the truth.
First truth: the enemy is not other people. It is Satan trying to stir up dissension. Christians fall for this lie far too often and far too easily. We complain about family members, the government, the neighbors, and the church down the street when it is spiritual forces of evil that need to hear our battle cry.

We also forget what God has done for us. We have the truth to keep us from stumbling. Our hearts are protected by the righteousness of Jesus Christ and the peace of God. He has given us all we need to fight the enemy’s lies and make advances of light into dark places. Prayer is a powerful weapon. We need to recognize and battle all the ways the enemy tries to stop us from using it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, the devil often uses busyness to keep me from prayer. Or simply complacency, or being oblivious to the needs around me, or ‘I don’t feel like it’ will work. Forgive my laziness and laxness in this. Talking to You is always a delight. Taking the problems of the world before You is also the only way that solutions can be affirmed. Besides, when we are in conversation, You often share with me the mysteries of what You are doing and give my heart rest at the assurance of Your sovereignty. Satan doesn’t like that either. He wants me to think that You don’t love me and You are not listening. I’m aware of being in a war and aware of who the enemy is. Help me to stand firm, wearing the armor You have given me, and resisting all the junk that gets thrown my way today.

Today’s thankful list . . .
I do not stand alone.
When the war ends, the victory of Jesus Christ will be fully known and celebrated.
Mountain of laundry done.
Mountain of email answered.
Spaghetti and meat sauce.
Ice cream cones.
Happy dancing.

No comments: