August 3, 2019

Jesus gets me out of my tizzy . . .


Last night I went to sleep thinking of Mary and Martha. Both were friends of Jesus and both eagerly showed hospitality to Him and His disciples. When Martha was making lunch, Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to what He said. Martha was anxious about lunch and irritated with her sister but when she told Jesus to rebuke her, she was lovingly told that Mary choose the best thing. Serving Him was okay but being in a tizzy about it was not.

This week, after discussing and praying for a need expressed by others, I was in a tizzy. I felt pressured to do something about that need and came home wound up and upset. Jesus bid me to pray and as I did, His Spirit and His Word made clear to me that my role right now is to be more like Mary. Others can do the work that will fill that need. My assignment and work right now is to pray. Immediately the tizzy whirled away as assurance filled my heart.

Yesterday and this morning’s readings confirm that I’m not to be anxious that I must meet that need but instead to pray. These verses give instructions for the direction of my prayers:

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:9–14)

Unceasing: Don’t quit. As God puts this need and others and the names of people on my heart, I am to pray about the needs and for the people. Listen for His leading as I pray.

Filled: Pray that people will know His will with wisdom and understanding. Sometimes we do the will of God without realizing it. This prayer is that we know what it is and are actively and wisely engaged. This prayer is for me too. I could pray, “God bless the missionaries” but God would rather I pray, “Lord, give grace to  . . . as he handles this tough decision . . . .” and “Jesus,  . . . is having a problem with the authorities in  . . . grant her wisdom as she meets with them today.” The Holy Spirit gives specifics when I’m yielded to Him.

Reason: My prayers are requests that His people please God in the way we live. He wants us to be fruitful (think love, joy, peace, etc.as well as our actions) and actively involved in things that will last for eternity, and things that help us know Him better. Actions are useless without the right attitudes motivating them.

Power: I’m to pray for power, not the power normally associated with success but the power that is like the power of God. This is about enduring under pressure, being patient in tough situations yet at the same time joyful. This is power that rises above human ability and points to the God who gives us above and beyond what we expect.

Thankful: I’m also to pray that all of us who serve the Lord know where our goodness comes from and know what we are doing and why — and out of this we are full of gratitude for the privilege of being His children. We didn’t earn any of what He gives us which means no pride, no sense of being ‘better’ than others, only humble gratitude that is always and fully aware that He delivered us. It was nothing we did to earn this amazing redemption and forgiveness and it is in that attitude that I must pray with the request that all of us walk with Jesus showing the wonder of His love and how it changes lives.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord God, as I think about this example of how to pray and compare it to the other activities that yank at my heart saying ‘do this’ or ‘look at this need’ or ‘you could help with this’ or even ‘you could change the world if you did this’ I realize that You are not calling me with words like that. Others might be asked to serve You in those ways, but You are clear on this: prayer is my calling. Grant me the grace to pray without ceasing and remember the key things that need to be on my prayer list.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Hot baths.
Cool breezes.
Enough time each day for the day’s demands.
Good neighbors.
Tomatoes off the vine and warmed by the sun.
Homemade bread.
Summer’s bountiful fresh vegetables.

No comments: