So (Paul) reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there. Some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers also conversed with him. And some said, “What does this babbler wish to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities”—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection. And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? For you bring some strange things to our ears. We wish to know therefore what these things mean.” Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new. So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. (Acts 17:17–25)This week, God used this and other NT examples to help me use the way my listeners talk and think to present further truth about His will and His ways. In this narrative, the people were open to hear new ideas and open to discuss matters of worship. Paul went from there to explain more, and eventually told them about Jesus:
The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead. (Acts 17:30–31)This moved the philosophers from their idle chatter to realize Paul was talking about far more than they usually talked about. Their idle conversation still happens these days and sharing how Paul did is not difficult. Could it be that talking as he did would get the same reaction from contemporary groups of idle conversationalists?
Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked. But others said, “We will hear you again about this.” So Paul went out from their midst. But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them. (Acts 17:32–34)I note two things. First, he started with where they were, showing he understood something about their ideas. Had he jumped in without doing that, they may have responded by defending their belief system as if any form of worship was mere philosophy. One time I jumped in too quick about what I believe, and the listener responded with her beliefs, as if whatever anyone thinks is okay for them, rather than considering if it is true.
The second thing is that Paul didn’t push it or argue with the mockers. He pointed to the resurrection and let that sit in their heads. He knew that God works with ideas like seeds, which need time and the right conditions to grow. This process cannot be forced.
Yesterday I shared with someone about an incident of answered prayer. She said she had been told not to bother God with small issues, but she did pray to a ‘saint’ when she lost something. I remarked that God knows the hairs on our heads, so isn’t bothered by trivial requests. I wanted to say more, but the Spirit told me to let the truth about God sit. It is enough for her to think about, a seed for Him to water and make grow.
Jesus, don’t let my impatience mess with Your plans. People who quilt often say, “Finished is better than perfect” but when it comes to telling others about You, I could turn them off if I pushed for getting a positive response far sooner than they were ready for it. I need to trust You with the time needed, and never be pushy or insisting on a “finish” that could result in mockery or argument rather than, “I want to hear more.”
No comments:
Post a Comment