For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did. Do not be idolaters. . . . (or) indulge in sexual immorality. . . . (or) put Christ to the test. . . . nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed. . . . Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. (1 Corinthians 10:1–15)Even as I try to purge our home of unneeded items, it is not easy. However, yesterday our son said that after we are gone, it will take him two days to empty the house. At first I was shocked to think my stuff might wind up in the dump, but this remark is helping me. I can give things to family, friends and needy people before I go to be with Jesus. But I cannot take them with me.
That thought actually helps with the purging, but it also makes me wonder if some of my beloved stuff could be called idols. While I do not worship them as gods, they are far more important to me than to easily give them away.
God's OT people were guilty of making their desires and activities more important than obeying God. Idolatry as God sees it is not merely putting a statue on a shelf. It can also be a deep unwillingness to let go of anything, and to make them treasures instead of gifts from God that He entrusts to my stewardship.
Lord, as I get older, that stewardship needs to be honored and I must gladly yield those gifts to You . You may lend them to someone else as You decide. Most of them may not last long and none of them will enter eternity. Emotionally, this is a challenge, but give me total victory over the temptation to make stuff more important than it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment