September 5, 2026

Gender wars?

The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. Many of them therefore believed, with not a few Greek women of high standing as well as men. (Acts 17:10–12)
I attended a quilting retreat this weekend. The others have varying skills and levels of expertise, but nearly all of them are eager to learn new techniques. In my years of leading or attending Bible studies, eager students have the most positive effect on my own desire to learn. I thank God for them.

This is likely why the Holy Spirit included them when this history of the early church was inspired and written. These men and women had a positive effect on one another. Besides, women in that culture were not usually well-educated or well-treated in a strong patriarchal society. The gospel changed that. Perhaps this change was part of the appeal, yet faith in Christ includes repentance and humility, so women who were “respected” were not using this as a way to gain that respect. They wanted to be godly as well as enjoy a new status in Christ.  
For in Christ Jesus you are all sons (children) of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:26–29)
Those early Christian women were involved in many activities even though a few passages restricted a few, perhaps because many of them where still in “bootcamp” and learning how to be children of God. These days, some denominations or individual churches maintain those restrictions and the controversy has resulted in much division.

Personally, I’m far more concerned that women learn from the passages that tell us what we can do and the attitudes that we should have as we follow Christ. Ephesians 5 and Titus 2 for instance. 

Years ago we attended a church that believed women should not teach men. One study night the pastor divided us into two groups and asked me to lead the other one. It had men in it so I protested, but he said, “I am the leader here and giving you permission to do it.” 

Our current church has six pastors. Two women lead women’s activities and counsel women. They occasionally preach. These are godly women, filled with the Spirit, and the Spirit of God is using them to increase faith and obedience. Some say they are as good or better preacher than the men.

The warnings in the NT for women usurping authority still stand in my mind, but when church authorities tell them to preach, then what? Could it be that usurping is taking a role without any right, while obedience means following the rules and orders of a rightful leader? Who tells women to go to the mission field? Or make disciples? Or work at home, or buy a vineyard?

I also question is about when the first couple sinned. God told them that each would want to rule the other. How much of that sinful desire to always be the boss is mixed up in the church conflict over the roles of men and women?
Lord, I don’t know the answers. I only know that I need to listen to You and obey You without being a self-centered know-it-all. You don’t want me to sin so that means walking carefully and trusting You to lead me into righteousness, for I know my sin nature sometimes wants its old ways and I need You to both recognize when that happens and consider myself dead to it and alive in You. I also know that You are not the source of conflict and disorder, so I cannot upset others by insisting that I am always right about everything. Best that I trust You and let You resolve this issue. Amen.



No comments: