Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and greeted Festus. . . . Festus laid Paul’s case before the king, saying, “There is a man left prisoner by Felix, and when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews laid out their case against him, asking for a sentence of condemnation against him. I answered them that it was not the custom of the Romans to give up anyone before the accused met the accusers face to face and had opportunity to make his defense concerning the charge laid against him. So when they came together here, I made no delay, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered the man to be brought. When the accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I supposed. Rather they had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. Being at a loss how to investigate these questions, I asked whether he wanted to go to Jerusalem and be tried there regarding them. But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I ordered him to be held until I could send him to Caesar.”Never underestimate the power of God to put His people where He wants us. In this case, He wanted Paul to tell the king of the Roman Empire about Jesus. Agrippa was the last king of the Herodian line, son of Agrippa I who persecuted the church in Acts 12. Any ordinary person would seldom be invited to this man’s presence, never mind a Christian.
Then Agrippa said to Festus, “I would like to hear the man myself.” “Tomorrow,” said he, “you will hear him.” So on the next day Agrippa and Bernice came with great pomp, and they entered the audience hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. Then, at the command of Festus, Paul was brought in. And Festus said, “King Agrippa and all who are present with us, you see this man about whom the whole Jewish people petitioned me, both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. But I found that he had done nothing deserving death. And as he himself appealed to the emperor, I decided to go ahead and send him. But I have nothing definite to write to my lord about him. Therefore I have brought him before you all, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write. For it seems to me unreasonable, in sending a prisoner, not to indicate the charges against him.” (Acts 25:13–27)
This reminds me of the time my daughter sat next to a famous movie star on an airplane. It also reminds me of an event where a very well-known person and speaker for it was seated for lunch at my table. I learned some important things that day, certainly that God can put me where He wants me.
Being seated with a noted person isn’t a big deal; but having God determine that should happen is a big deal. Because of Paul’s summons to meet Agrippa and his wife, we can read his remarkable testimony that is recorded in the next passage. Few people have the opportunity to share Christ with the king of a nation. Although Agrippa remained loyal to Rome and his Jewish heritage rather than joining the early Christian church, millions of people can read the gospel Paul shared with him.
Another truth seen here is that God puts me where He wants me. Paul knew that. He witnessed to those who put him in jail where most Christians would be wanting others to pray for their release. A couple years ago, I was taken to hospital by ambulance with pneumonia and thought this was God's will. I learned much from that experience. Although the doctor said my fast recovery set a record for their hospital, I knew why the Lord wanted me there.
Jesus, trusting You in all situations is vital to inner peace, but I also must be alert to why You want me to be in that situation. Understanding Your will changes a trial into an amazing experience that brings You glory — and me closer to You with deeper understanding and greater trust.
No comments:
Post a Comment