September 9, 2026

Holy Spirit Unity

When we had come to Jerusalem, the brothers received us gladly. On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. After greeting them, he related one by one the things that God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. And when they heard it, they glorified God. And they said to him, “You see, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews of those who have believed. They are all zealous for the law, and they have been told about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children or walk according to our customs. What then is to be done? They will certainly hear that you have come. Do therefore what we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses, so that they may shave their heads. Thus all will know that there is nothing in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself also live in observance of the law. But as for the Gentiles who have believed, we have sent a letter with our judgment that they should abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality.” Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them. (Acts 21:17–26)
A commentary says Paul is making a compromise here by allowing the Jews to have their desire to follow ceremonial law and encouraging them to be content without put their practices on Gentile believers. In our day, this would be like encouraging peace between those who worship on the sixth day with those who insist on the seventh day.

It seems to me that compromise is not the point. I’ve had conversations with those who claim to be Christians and have ideas about how to practice their ‘faith’ that are different from others. The issue is not that they worship a different day, but that they insist if others do not do the same, they cannot be saved. That is, if I am guided by the Holy Spirit and someone else is, we will agree. If not, either one or both of us are ‘doing our own thing’ and not listening to the Lord. The Spirit is not the author of contrary commands but unity.

What then was Paul doing when he told the Gentiles to refrain from certain sins? Could it be that these sins governed their old life before they were redeemed and could easily be stumbling blocks of temptation? As for the Jews, rule-keeping is not wrong, but basing salvation on it instead of faith in Jesus Christ is, just read Galatians!

At the same time, there are conflicts like faith being a gift that the Spirit does for us vs. the need for us to believe in Christ, as if we do that without help. I tend to go with what God does, for when I do, He gets the glory. When I base my redemption on my decision, then I tend to fall into boasting. Jesus explained it with this parable:
(Jesus) also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9–14)
Human pride too often confuses truth with the strength of my ego and being ‘certain’ that I know what I’m talking about. Only can God's Word and His Spirit keep my heart holding to the truth and living it.  

And, Lord Jesus, You know who is saved and who thinks they are but are not, and those who base their salvation on You, and those who say, “I did it” and pat themselves on the back. Sometimes it is easy to tell the difference, but not always. Genuine Christians can boast “I accepted Christ” or can say, “Christ drew me to Himself” but those who think they are saved by their own doing honor their way rather than Your way. Even those who truly believe can fall into the trap of self-glory and pride. Lord, have mercy. I need You to block my pride and keep my heart yielded to  You. Proof of salvation is a changed life!

 

No comments: