For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s. This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Corinthians 3:19–4:7)One evening at Bible study I shared how God rebuked me for praising another person. She quoted Scripture that glorified Him instead of taking the praise for herself. I was startled but realized that she knew how God wanted her to think about her skills. She gave Him credit for giving them to her.
I don’t always do that. While praise feels good for my ego, it does not build my faith. It is better to feel needy and unable than to have confidence in myself. The people in that Bible study did not agree. They thought she was being rude to me, not realizing the importance of humility that knows all good things are a gift from Him.
I’ve since thought much about human effort apart from relying on the Lord and being filled with the Holy Spirit. The OT says: “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.” (Isaiah 53:6)
Turning to my own way, relying on me instead of the Lord, means I’ve gone astray. The Word calls it ‘iniquity’ which means ‘guilt’ in Hebrew, My thesaurus says it is like: wickedness, sinfulness, immorality, impropriety, vice, evil, sin; villainy, criminality, crime, heinousness, nefariousness, knavery; vileness, foulness, baseness, odiousness, atrociousness, dreadfulness, egregiousness; outrageousness, outrage, monstrousness, obscenity, reprehensibility; ungodliness, godlessness, impiety, devilry, among other nasty words.
The NT puts it like this: “. . . . . whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (Romans 14:23) and this:
For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:26–31)When I think about who God is and what He has done through the power of His Spirit and the love of Jesus Christ His Son, how arrogant to think that I can live without trusting Him and doing it my way.
Lord, this is an important truth that brings unity to Your children. Help each one of us to think rightly about ourselves and one another. No pedestals, no boasting, just serving faithfully without judging others or even ourselves. All goodness comes from You.
No comments:
Post a Comment