August 24, 2026

What about “God told me” claims?

Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what he did, believed in him, but some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. So the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered the council and said, “What are we to do? For this man performs many signs. If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.” But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, “You know nothing at all. Nor do you understand that it is better for you that one man should die for the people, not that the whole nation should perish.” He did not say this of his own accord, but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but also to gather into one the children of God who are scattered abroad. So from that day on they made plans to put him to death. 
Jesus therefore no longer walked openly among the Jews, but went from there to the region near the wilderness, to a town called Ephraim, and there he stayed with the disciples. (John 11:45–54)
We went for a drive yesterday with no particular destination in mind, but after a short time, my hubby said, “It just came to me that we should stop at …” So we did and it turned out to be a good idea. 

Where do such ideas come from? I’ve been in book stores with no plans and a book almost speaks “Buy me” and it was an important read at the time. Or someone comes to mind that I should phone them, and they answered, “I’m so glad you called. I need to talk to you.”

The above text does not say anyone told Jesus that plans were being made to kill Him. However He knew it was not the right time and went into hiding in a place where they would not find Him. How did He know?

For Him and for all, God knows. King David understood this:
O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. (Psalm 139:1–4)
God told David that He would inform him what he should do: “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you” (Psalm 32:8) so why not Jesus? And why not me? 
But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels. Oh, that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways! (Psalm 81:11–13)
A Christian woman told me of planning to mail something and driving a certain route to the post office. She heard an inner voice telling her to go another way. She argued and then went the way she planned. On that road she was hit by a semi and nearly died. After years of recovery, she knows how challenging it can be to listen.

The voice is not our ‘better half’ or ‘subconscious’ but the Holy Spirit. He knows what I think and how I plan. He knows the will of God for me. He also knows how stubborn I can be, or how proud, or whatever my reasoning is for not listening. This is Greek “rhema” not the term “logos” usually used for the word of God. 

Last night I came up with a plan for a quilt, then spent half the night dreaming of doing it. But I was doing it wrong. All night. It was not God's instruction but a warning? Or a reminder? I make plans for the day, or for a project, and God knows that I need His guidance for every step of it. He also knows what He wants for my day. Will I listen and submit? Or do my own thing and wake up too late? Or like my friend who never made it to the post office? Rhema is a personal word for a need of the moment, not to be added to Scripture or applied to other people, but must fit with Scripture and the revealed will of God. 
Jesus, listening to Your voice all the time and for every detail can be as important as personal safety or less vital as doing a task well (or even doing it at all). Keep me tuned it. The day has only a few hours. What I do with that time could make a difference in my life or the life of others. Help me to listen, pay attention, and do what You say. It may not make sense at the time, but listening and submitting can make a huge difference compared to the vanity of thinking I know better.



No comments: