About the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching. The Jews therefore marveled, saying, “How is it that this man has learning, when he has never studied?” So Jesus answered them, “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority. The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (John 7:14–18)This passage tells me that the Lord gives discernment to those who trust Him. With the amount of knowledge and so-called knowledge flying at me, this is an anchor. It fits with this OT wisdom:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:5–8)My daughter just sent me a link that says science is now discovering that cutting back on salt actually increases the problem less salt is supposed to solve. Of course the companies that make pills for the related problems want people to buy their ‘solutions’ yet these so-called cures are not fixing the real problem but making it worse.
The Word of God says that discernment is given to those who do not trust anything or anyone unless He says it is true. Since there are no chapters and verses on what medications to take, or not take, that means having an intimacy with Him that hears His take on all issues.
I know — there are many people who justify even evil deeds with “God told me” and that is not from an intimate relationship. Wanting to do the will of God means knowing as much about Him as possible. Can anyone read and understand the Bible and think that it is okay to do what God calls sin?
I’m reading the Psalms again and those writers knew that others will twist what God says to justify their sin. These people will either be judged or shown mercy and be changed by grace. No one can escape the knowledge and discernment of God.
That said, He is quite willing to guide those who trust Him. Only by doing it do I discover His power to lead me concerning every detail of life. I know what to buy or not, what to ignore or heed.
For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me; (Psalm 31:3)This week I had a few days of negative thoughts about growing old and unable and He gave me this verse — without me even looking for it:
With upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with his skillful hand. (Psalm 78:72)
Even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save. (Isaiah 46:4)The key to discernment is not being smarter but being humble, needy, relying on the One who knows rather on my own understanding. It is in admitting how I need Him and His wisdom, turning from my own ideas and from evil rather that trusting whatever sounds good or appeals to me.
Jesus, I am so grateful that You make Your will known and that I can trust You with all my heart and with every question and issue of life. Thank You and may I praise Your name forever!
No comments:
Post a Comment