August 11, 2026

Proof of eternal life…

As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straight, and the rough places shall become level ways, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’ ” He said therefore to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruits in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.” (Luke 3:4–9)
All through the OT God told His people how to live, and even though some of them trusted Him and were faithful, most of them could not do it. Trusting Abraham was not adequate to produce the lives God wanted. So the Lord had to do something drastic.

Yesterday I heard an expose on ten large churches that teach error regarding how to live for God. Almost all of them were encouraged to use “faith” to live for themselves. “Be healthy, wealthy, and wise, and God will bless you.” Earn it. The sad part is that for many this prosperity gospel works, particularly the leaders of those churches, but for this life only.

However, as John the Baptist, and Jesus, and the disciples, and millions of later followers preached, living the rules does not produce evidence of new life.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:22–24)
Joy that does not depend on external circumstances. Peace that deeply comforts no matter what. Patience in trials, kindness to all, even enemies… and death to selfishness and greed. This is Holy Spirit fruit and without Him in my life, I simply cannot live that way. Some can look good on the surface (I cannot) but the heart is all about self.

Since I’m not supposed to judge others, discerning false faith is a challenge. But out of the heart comes words that show me what to say and how to pray for those who are trying to earn their salvation, or are using religious practices with the hope of being “good enough” to earn God’s blessing. This passage is both helpful and a warning:
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9–14)
It is easy to exalt myself and rob Jesus of the glory He alone deserves. Pride is a big enemy of truth.
Lord, You alone save. I cannot bear fruit, or talk right, or think godly thoughts apart from You and the grace You give. Every day You remind me and I’m thankful that You patiently put up with my lapses — sins that You died for yet You forgive. More than that, You keep cleansing my heart and drawing me into humility and living for You. Protect me and help me to be grateful every day for Your incredible mercy.




No comments: