August 14, 2026

Light that changes lives

“No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or under a basket, but on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness. Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness. If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light.” (Luke 11:33–36)
In context, Jesus seems to be talking about Himself and the light that He sheds, but other passages use these terms to tell the disciples to shine the light He gives them so it might be seen or experienced by others. At the same time, His words indicate that the light we have must be pure. If there is sin present, then it becomes dark or untrue or hidden. Others cannot see truth in the way that I live if I don’t live according to the light that Christ gives me.

This is not a guarantee that if I live it, they will see it. Jesus lived a perfect life and they missed it. Even the reality of His resurrection was not discerned by their dark eyes.
This is logical. Our light depends on the reality of His eternal life:
Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:12–14)
This passage goes on to say, “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.” (1 Corinthians 15:17–19)

Whatever light God has given depends on this one truth. If Jesus was not raised, then I have nothing to tell people that is powerful for them. Living a good life means nothing. Even answered prayer can be called a ‘coincidence’ by those who hear such things. Key to believing the gospel is the reality of the resurrection, not my light or the light shone by all the godly living of all His saints. It may get the attention of those who want a better life for themselves, yet if that light is perceived only as something I’m doing apart from the living Lord Jesus, they are still in the dark. Paul knew this, which is why he wrote: “By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” (1 Corinthians 15:10)

And Lord Jesus, if my testimony is about me and what I have done and what I believe, and full of me, me, me, then I am not shining — a huge part is the dark when I foolishly rob God of His glory by telling others what I did or in any way make the gospel about me. That is a huge lack of discernment about the real needs of others, and even boasting or hypocrisy on my part. Shame on me. 

 

 



No comments: