January 29, 2022

What is in today’s headlines?

 

 

READ Acts 17-20

Some years ago, a plane crashed into a school in Scotland killing many children. The story was in the news for days. I saw one seemingly thoughtless reporter asking the very distraught school principal questions about his emotions. Enraged, I contacted the news media and was told that as much as they didn’t like it, news policy was, “If it bleeds, it leads.”

That still bothers me. On reflection, if that were taken literally, then the top news story should be the crucifixion of Jesus Christ who bled and died for the sins of the world. Imagine the stir that would cause, and if not just read the book of Acts!

This news caused all sorts of reactions back then. As I read today’s portion, I wondered what part of it to focus on because so much activity is described. However, two things stood out. One is that Paul was wise in how he talked to idol worshipers and people that didn’t know much about God. He explained the basics, that God is Creator, the “unknown God” in an inscription on one of their many objects of worship. Then, if they were curious he gave them enough to prompt questions. In other words, he was considerate to go where they were spiritually and say enough to arouse their interest. Some of them heard him say:

“Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man. The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.” (Acts 17:29–31)

Their response? “Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked. But others said, ‘We will hear you again about this.’ So Paul went out from their midst. But some joined him and believed . . . .” (Acts 17:32–34)

At other times, the message began with who Jesus is and why He came, or with a denunciation of idols, or with a testimony of what Jesus had done for him. He knew his audiences, but he also listened to the Holy Spirit and said what God put on his heart. He could began with the event of Jesus’ death, but he didn’t always do that. His example speaks to me. I need to consider who I’m talking with and listen to what the Lord is telling me to say.

The second thing, Paul didn’t always know ahead of time what would happen to him. He did know that all would not be rosy but never held back from teaching his listeners what they needed to hear. They didn’t have the NT then so Paul’s teaching was precious encouragement to new believers and precious defense against false teaching that was already attacking the church.

And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. (Acts 20:22–30)

Paul did not account his life as important as “finish his course and the ministry that he received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Many Christians do not have that clear sense of what their course or ministry is, nor have many the same attitude toward their own plans. We are accepted by our gracious God apart from our input, yet at the same time, I’m continually praying for myself and God’s people to be more focused on the will of God, even as focused as the media is to use news of death and bloodshed to attract readers. However, our message is good news; Jesus shed His blood, died for our sins and rose again to give us new live. We share it so those who hear are given hope instead of horror, good news instead of the stuff that increases any fear of dying and condemnation.

 

No comments: