January 20, 2022

Rebuilding walls, repairing lives . . .

 

 

READ Nehemiah 1-4

When we lived in California, one of our rental homes had an eight-foot cinder block wall around the back yard. Although we could not see over it, our children could play there in complete safety.

When we visited Italy and saw some of the two-hundred walled cities of Tuscany we were impressed by their size and how they had been preserved. Although no longer used as protection from enemies, these walls draw tourists by the thousands. We stayed in Prato, the old section where the walls stand sturdy and high alongside very narrow one-way streets, and tall stone buildings with extremely friendly Italians adding to a strong sense of security.

In the OT, the walled cities were vital. When the people of God began to return from exile in Babylon, they reported back to Nehemiah that the walls of Jerusalem were broken down. He was King Artaxerxes’ cupbearer and that leader noticed Nehemiah’s sad face. Nehemiah had fasted and prayed and was praying even as the king asked him about his sorrow. The result: “The king granted me what I asked, for the good hand of my God was upon me.” (Nehemiah 2:8).

Nehemiah went alone to Jerusalem and checked out the wall. Then he approached the Jews: priests, nobles, officials and anyone who would do the work. When their enemies heard of it, the jeering began, just like Satan and his cohorts set to work on me every time God hands me a repair job of any kind, or a prayer task that builds His wall around others. To that, Nehemiah replied: “The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build, but you have no portion or right or claim in Jerusalem.” (Nehemiah 2:20)

This brings to mind the NT directions for spiritual warfare in Ephesians 6:10-20 and the truth that my spiritual enemy is already defeated. He has no claim on me for Jesus has died for my sin and rose again to give me new life. The powerful protection of being the child of a King means that I can pray as Nehemiah did!

Chapter 3 gives a detailed account of the rebuilding task, telling who did what and was assigned to which gate or part of the wall. Some verses list their trade or occupation showing that the work force consisted of the High Priest, other Priests, Levites, leaders and citizens from all areas, goldsmiths, perfumers, families, temple servants, gate keepers, and merchants. Using this ancient story as a picture of Christian renewal and revival shows how God puts all His people to the task. This means unity, humility, and a heart for the work. They were not fighting with each other but worked to accomplish a common goal.

As with any effort to build anything that gives security and protection to the people of God, opposition will happen. The enemies of the Jews hurried in to jeer and frustrate the plan. Nehemiah divided the workers; some stood guard with their weapons and others did the work. Again, this is like Ephesians 6 and other NT verses that say the weapons of our warfare are spiritual, and we need to use the Word of God which is the Sword of the Spirit to fight the onslaughts of our enemy as we repair any damage done to the protection God has given us.

So we labored at the work, and half of them held the spears from the break of dawn until the stars came out. I also said to the people at that time, “Let every man and his servant pass the night within Jerusalem, that they may be a guard for us by night and may labor by day.” So neither I nor my brothers nor my servants nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us took off our clothes; each kept his weapon at his right hand. (Nehemiah 4:21–23)

Sin sent God’s people into captivity. God worked to gain their release and they worked under His direction to rebuild what their sin had ruined. It was not easy, but God was with them and His power made their efforts successful.

Nehemiah’s story is a pattern for me, for all Christians. My activity (not a cupbearer but a wife, mother, grandma, quiltmaker, artist and writer) gives me access to resources and insights concerning my role as a child of God. He puts me where He wants me to be, not to rebuild a literal wall but to prayerfully build and rebuild spiritual protection as He shows me how to intercede for His people. My obedience is different from Nehemiah’s task, yet prayer is hard work, just as was the physical effort to remake burned gates or to restore rubble to the wall it once was. I know for certain that doing this requires the power and encouragement of the Lord and the support and teamwork of every Christian. May God continue to be our strong tower!

 

No comments: