January 6, 2022

God says . . . Do I believe it?

 

 

READ Genesis 24-28

When a mechanic says, “I will fix your car and have it running like new again” do I believe that promise? Or do I wait and see if it happens? Likely, my faith in the mechanic depends on what I know about him, depending on reputation or past experience. In other words, I’m not going to trust a promise like that without some evidence that this mechanic is dependable.

Today’s reading shows how faith develops. Abraham now has the son that God promised him and is looking for a wife for this young man. He enlists his servant to go to his country and kin and bring back a wife from his relatives. His request was based on what God told him:

The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from the land of my kindred, and who spoke to me and swore to me, ‘To your offspring I will give this land,’ he will send his angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there. (Genesis 24:7)

This touching story is familiar. The servant finds the young woman and the first thing he does is praise God:

The man bowed his head and worshiped the Lord and said, “Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken his steadfast love and his faithfulness toward my master. As for me, the Lord has led me in the way to the house of my master’s kinsmen.” (Genesis 24:26–27)

When Rachael says she will go with him to marry Isaac, this servant again praises God. He knew of Abraham’s faith and now has seen for himself that God is faithful:

“Then I bowed my head and worshiped the Lord and blessed the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me by the right way to take the daughter of my master’s kinsman for his son. Now then, if you are going to show steadfast love and faithfulness to my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, that I may turn to the right hand or to the left.” (Genesis 24:48–49)

Later, Isaac and Rachael have twin sons, Esau and Jacob in that order. Esau as the oldest is supposed to receive the birthright. This was a double inheritance with several reasons behind the custom. However, this oldest son had little regard for that right. One day he came home exhausted and was so hungry that he traded his birthright at Jacob’s request for some of the stew Jacob was cooking. This says something about his character as well as Jacob’s manipulative nature.

The story also tells how Isaac repeats his father’s lie about his wife to Abimelech, a Philistine king who rebukes him for it. Many relocations are described, also contentions over wells. Abimelech sees this man is blessed by God so makes a deal over the wells. Meanwhile, Esau marries outside the clan. His wives make his mom’s life bitter, revealing conflict in the family, partly because mother favors Jacob, and Esau is spiteful.

Later, when it is time for Isaac to bless his eldest son, Rachael helps Jacob fool his aging father into blessing him by mistake, but was it? Jacob was sent to same family as Abraham’s servant was sent to get a wife for his father Isaac. On the way, Jacob has a dream, encounters God and His promise to Abraham and Isaac is repeated . . .

“I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring. Your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south, and in you and your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed. Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” (Genesis 28:13–15)

At that Jacob made a vow: “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.” (Genesis 28:20–22)

Observations for OBEDIENCE. When unsure what to do, my default might be repetition of what my parents did, good or otherwise. Watch for that. Also, God wants to bless me, but I don’t need to ‘help’ Him by manipulation, nor should I ever disobey God to get even or get the best of someone else. Also, God makes promises; once I hear them I should believe Him. Jacob could have said, “When You do this, I will do this . . .” rather than “If You do this . . .” If I’m not certain God will do what He says, I must confess my lack of faith.

 

No comments: