January 10, 2022

Trusting the Planner

 

 

READ Genesis 44-50

As a quilt-maker, I can see the progress of learning how to make a quilt is similar to growing in faith. The steps involved are learned and as each one is mastered, the next one is the next challenge. Learning to select the right colors and pattern leads to learning how to cut pieces the right size and shape and along the grain line. That leads to learning how to sew consistent ¼ inch seams in the right order, pressing them to one side so the quilt lays flat. The last things to learn are how to sew the layers together, then finish the edges and add a label.

Reading the story of Joseph is a series of faith lessons. He learned that God had a plan for his life, but sharing that plan with his brothers had negative consequences. He also learned that even obedience can put him in prison. He learned that using the discerning skills God gave him resulted in greater responsibilities and influence.

Finally, he learned that God used, even planned the events of his life so that he could rescue his family from starvation. When the time came to reveal his identity, Joseph said to his brothers:

“Come near to me, please.” And they came near. And he said, “I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt.” (Genesis 45:4–8)

Joseph knew the sovereignty of God and by faith he saw the hand of God in everything that happened to him. His brothers, while glad to be brought to live in the best part of Egypt, were still fearful. When their father died, they thought Joseph would turn on them. They told him that their father had wanted forgiveness to happen, but as they spoke and offered themselves as his servants, Joseph wept. He said to them:

“Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.” Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them. (Genesis 50:19–21)

This is a mirror of the Gospel, also of the Christian life. God teaches the baby steps, then moves on as I learn to trust Him in the more difficult challenges. I stumble and make mistakes, yet He persists and proves to me using the history of Joseph and my experiences in life to show me this reality . . .

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)

I’m not shown the end in the beginning, and it seems that Joseph didn’t know it either, but he believed in God’s goodness and power enough to OBEY Him each step of the way. When I have fears and doubts, Joseph’s story reminds me that God has a plan, and that He has revealed enough of that plan to encourage me — He wants me to be increasingly like Jesus. Whatever else is going to happen, nothing can be as amazing as that!

 

No comments: