January 12, 2022

Logs, Specks and Righteousness


 

READ Matthew 5-8         

A novel tells of a crime in which a man and his wife each thought the other did it. Out of love, they tried to protect one another by confessing they did it when a third person was actually guilty. In the end, the truth came out but not before the husband wrote a false confession and took his own life. So tragic.

As I read about Jesus telling us to confess and repent of our sins, I recognize the difficulty of admitting true guilt, never mind what taking on someone else’s guilt would be like. Yet this is what Jesus did in dying for my transgressions so that I would not pay the penalty. He even spoke “It is finished” across my debt owed to God, declaring the price had been paid. In today’s reading, several verses jump out at me as reminders of how I should respond to this incredible love that motivated Him to take my place on that cross. He did it because I have no righteousness of my own that could erase my sin, or give me credibility to overcome it. Not only that, in taking my place, He also gave me Himself as 2 Corinthians 5:21 says:

“For our sake (God) made (Jesus) to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 

Jesus also said: “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. (Matthew 5:6) It is not my own righteousness that I must deeply desire, but His — and He will satisfy that hunger.

Then He tells me what to do with it — live it out, let it be seen. This goodness of Jesus is not a secret thing to hide but a glorious and life-saving reality.

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14–16)

At the same time, the motive for such a display is for His glory, not mine, for that righteousness is not mine, but His. He said, “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:1)

Probably the most difficult part of “practicing righteousness” is dealing with those who are upset with me for something I have done. Jesus points out my need to be reconciled to those who are close, and to love those who are enemies.

So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23–24)

“ . . . I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you . . . .” (Matthew 5:43–44)

He also warns me that when I see a sin in others, it might be a sin that I also have. The reverse is also possible; when someone points out my sin, they could also have the same problem. The answer is the same either way; we need to deal with our own sin first before trying to help another person.

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:3–5)

While forgiveness and reconciliation is important, so is the motivation for seeking both. I’m not to attempt to help anyone who has my same flaws without dealing first with my own sinful attitudes and actions. If I do that and am able to see clearly, I must go to them desiring a clean slate for both of us, not just trying to fix their problem:

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14–15)

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)

Jesus makes clear the need for working out relationship issues, but also OBEYING what He says in every way. “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. (Matthew 7:24) I’m not to be content with mere knowledge of proper responses, or trying to “fix” everyone, but being willing to sacrifice myself as He did so that relationships are made right and He is honored in every way.

 

No comments: