January 27, 2022

Spiritually Blind?

 

READ Acts 9-12

The story of Saul’s conversion humbles me because my own story is a bit like it. I was not persecuting Christians like this man, nor did I have his religious background. Instead, I was seeking truth about my eternal destiny. I’d been reading the Bible daily for many years but didn’t understand it. One afternoon, I was reading a library book about reincarnation. It quoted a Scripture verse and at that point, Jesus came into the room. It was not a physical vision but bright light and a strong sense of His presence. I instantly knew it was Him the Son of God and my Savior, and that my search was over.

Reading again the story of Saul who became Paul, I’m reminded that no matter what we do in our search for God, God must reveal Himself to us. Without Him opening our eyes and ears, we are blind and deaf.

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)

“In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear . . .” (Psalm 40:6)

Not only that, Saul immediately knew who stopped him on his way to Damascus. He was at first blinded, then given his sight, fed and strengthened and spent some days with the disciples . . .

And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.” And all who heard him were amazed and said, “Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?” But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ. (Acts 9:19–22)

God didn’t call me to a ministry like that of Saul/Paul yet I know the power of God to reveal Himself and change lives. It is for this that I pray for many friends, relatives and others who do not know this incredible God. He must take the initiative.

Another part of this reading is the story of God sending Peter to the Gentiles with the Gospel. He used a vision to show Peter not to be prejudice against those who were not Jews. The dream he had included animals that were considered unclean, yet God told him to eat and said, “What God has made clean, do not call common.”

The Lord recently gave me a similar understanding. He used a segment from the television show, “Doc Martin.” This doctor, likely autistic and with the worst bedside manner imaginable, is an expert at diagnosis but his wife wants him to be much better with social interaction. In the show, he is kidnapped by a woman who wants him to do the impossible for her ailing husband. The entire story is nutty. Finally, the local policeman (who is as dense as they come) and Doc Martin’s wife rescue him. At the end of the story, she says, “I’ve wanted you to be, uh, normal, but today I realize that there are no normal people. I’m not normal either . . . .” And with that, God reminded me of my negativity toward some who I consider ‘not normal.’ It was a mild rebuke, but it stuck. When God speaks and opens ears, even using a fictional television show, the truth He speaks hits home.

This passage reinforces the statement of Martin’s wife with verses like this: “To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” (Acts 10:43) Everyone. No mention of only ‘normal’ people.

If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” (Acts 11:17–18) Not just Jews or God’s special people, but everyone.

These days, there is lots of talk about racism. Some of it is a silly attempt to use it as a reason for unrelated bad (or good) behavior, but many of those accusations are warranted. This prejudice has no place in the kingdom of God either. Nor does any other attitude that separates people into other ‘unacceptable’ categories such as homeless, unclean, low IQ, drunk, mentally ill, funny looking, old, short, tall, weird religion, phony, and on and on. In the sight of God, it is “whosoever will” and that is the vision that He wants for me too. He keeps opening my eyes to the vastness of His love for humanity and opening my ears to hear Him tell me what to do about it. I’m to reveal that love to everyone that crosses my path, no matter who they are or what issues I may have had regarding them. Amen.

 

1 comment:

Aritha V. said...

Amen an thank you.