May 19, 2019

Turn my eyes upon Jesus . . .


ADHD or Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a condition in which a person has trouble paying attention and focusing on tasks, tends to act without thinking, and has trouble sitting still. It may begin in early childhood and can continue into adulthood. Those who have it often struggle with a long to-do list and are better when given a shorter one with two or three items. As I read through 1 Thessalonians 4 and 5, I thought of the difficulties this list of “how to walk and please God” would be for someone with ADHD without the power of the Holy Spirit to help us remember and do as the Lord says!

It begins with His will that I live the sanctified life, meaning a life set apart for God, not for the world, the flesh or the devil, but keeping myself holy and pure . . .

“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.” (1 Thessalonians 4:3–8)

It follows that God’s love is involved, the kind of love that wants His best for others. Paul wrote a commendation to this church; they had been taught how to love by God and told them to continue. He added that they should “aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.” (1 Thessalonians 4:11–12)

Paul also addresses their confusion about the Second Coming of Christ. They had this incredible hope which enabled them to grieve for those who had died without the desperation that others feel, knowing that Jesus will come and those who died in Him with rise first. Then those who are alive will also be caught up together with them, meeting the Lord in the air. They were to encourage one another with this incredible hope.

He reminded them that that day would come suddenly and unexpectedly but they would not be surprised. They had all that God gave them and would escape the wrath of God to live with Jesus Christ forever. This meant they should “encourage one another and build one another up” just as they were doing.

The last part of this book is like a to-do list. It touched many parts of their lives, yet it was not a check list like my household chores, or a student’s homework, or the tasks necessary for someone’s employment. This is a list of actions. The Holy Spirit first gives the motivating attitudes and ideas and for which Christians must follow through with obedience . . .

“We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.” (1 Thessalonians 5:12–22)

I’ve wondered about having mild ADHD. It affects others in varying degrees, yet the constant struggle to remember Christian responses and attitudes might have more to do with that sin nature that plagues us and that required God’s intervention. He sent Jesus to give us forgiveness for sin but also victory over it. The next verses that Paul writes give me great joy . . .

“Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23–24)

God sets me apart. He will perfect my holiness. In Christ, I am blameless and He is faithful to bring me to the wonderful reality that I become what He says I already am, not because I have an ability to tackle that to-do list but because He is my Savior and He is faithful to save me.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is the most important thing to remember. I cannot save myself. That list and the items not listed here are just too much for me. I forget them, get distracted, become selfish and fall on my face, but You never give up in Your great power to save and enable me to be the person You want me to be. I love You and thank You for Your faithfulness and Your ability to transform my life. Amen.

No comments: