May 20, 2019

Even the closing words are important!


When I write a letter or an email, it typically closes with “Blessings” and my name. Paul goes farther. He gives a blessing, but also three appeals to the church in Thessalonica . . .

Brothers, pray for us. Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss. I put you under oath before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. (1 Thessalonians 5:25–28)

Prayer is his priority. He could not survive in ministry without it. While he comes across as a spiritual strong man, he needed the power of God to do the work of God. To the church at Ephesus, he described the spiritual armor needed to be successful against our spiritual enemy then tells them the victory is in . . .

praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. (Ephesians 6:18–20)

He, a mighty leader, needed their prayers for words and for boldness as he preached the gospel. How much more do the rest of us need prayer support in whatever God assigns to us! The reason is simple; we cannot do it (no matter what ‘it’ is) in our own strength. We need the power of God.

Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, (2 Corinthians 3:5)

Paul also talks about greeting one another. In that culture, the men greeted the men with a kiss on the cheek as did the women. This kiss was to be holy, not passionate or fleshly. I know only one woman and her daughter who do this today. Others go for the acceptable alternatives in our Western culture — either a hug, a touch on the arm or back, or a handshake. The form of greeting is not important but the doing of it is. Few Christians ignore this, but when it happens, I sometimes feel unimportant, even invisible. Satan tries to use those feelings to lead me into a pity-party rather than being focused on the Lord and on loving others.

Paul’s third exhortation at the end of this letter is that it be read to everyone. The normal usage of the Greek word for “read” (anagnōsthēnai) implies that it should be read aloud. A missionary says that in illiterate cultures and even for most who can read, hearing the Word of God is important. “Faith comes by hearing” (Romans 10:17) as often suggested in the New Testament.

Not only that, Paul’s words are strong. He put his readers under oath expressed by the words ‘enorkizō hymas’ also meaning ‘I charge you’ — normally used with the idea that failure to do so would bring punishment or discipline. In other words, Paul was stressing that reading this letter was very important to God and to us. I’m so thankful that God’s Word is read aloud in our church and that I or my computer can do that for me at home.

The letter ends with how it began. Paul says, Grace to you and peace” in 1 Thessalonians 1:1 and ends with, “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:28)

In every letter, Paul refers to God’s grace in the benedictions. Grace is given through our Lord Jesus Christ and in Him, we are blessed. Sometimes I forget important truths. This letter ending helps me remember that God wants me to know and experience the grace that He has given me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, forgive me for the many times I’ve scanned through the brief benedictions in Paul’s letters — Your letters to me — without considering that You have not finished speaking. This one is rich in telling me what is important to You and what ought to be more important to me. I’m also reminded that You pray for me, You greet me in many ways with Your presence, You speak to me through these letters written by Paul and inspired by Your Holy Spirit and all that I have and believe is because of Your great grace. Again, I worship and thank You for such undeserved goodness and blessing.

No comments: