May 4, 2019

Increase my zeal . . .


I’m in Chapter Five of the book I’m using for devotions. It is about two New Testament books but begins with a background of Paul. God is teaching me today about zeal.

Zeal is being deeply committed to and enthusiastic about something. A couple of verses tell me that zeal in itself is not a sin because God Himself is zealous . . . 
The Lord goes out like a mighty man, like a man of war he stirs up his zeal; he cries out, he shouts aloud, he shows himself mighty against his foes. (Isaiah 42:13)

But all zeal is not like God’s zeal. In speaking of the Jews, Paul said, For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.” (Romans 10:2) This tells me zeal can be misguided, in this case by ignorance of the righteousness of God and trying to establish godliness on their own.
Paul himself also had been a zealous man. He went after Christians thinking this is what God wanted. . .

For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles . . .  (Galatians 1:13–16)

As with Paul, when Jesus transforms a life, He brings in a deep and full desire to do the right thing . . .

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11–14)

From experience, I realize that zeal requires discernment. It is easy to evaluate the worth of anything by the immediate results. Sometimes I base the rightness of my actions on whether others accept it or not. However, Peter warns that Christians can suffer for being zealous for righteousness. He says this is better than suffering for doing something selfish.

Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil. (1 Peter 3:13–17)

The last book of the Bible begins with letters to seven churches, one of which was not very zealous. They were comfortable with life and lacking enthusiasm for God. God said to them:

I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (Revelation 3:14–19)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for making Paul a zealous man. Not all of us are created with fire in our bones. Yet because You live in me, I have a zeal for many things that would not otherwise be there. In You I want to be a godly person. I deeply desire others to know You and Your goodness. At the same time, I can see how zeal for righteousness or for anything else can be thwarted by an easy life and that deadening sense that I do not need anything. Just as I feed my zeal for creativity by observing and studying creation and the creative works of many artistic people, I also need to feed my zeal to pray by reading books on prayer and praying with people. Those I’d call ‘prayer warriors’ encourage that fire within. Reading Your Word increases my zeal to glorify You. Zeal is a wonderful gift. Increase my enthusiasm to glorify You! Amen.

No comments: