May 14, 2019

A deeper definition of hypocrisy . . .


This morning God gives insight into hypocrisy beyond my usual thoughts about it. For the most part, I’ve considered saying one thing (I am a Christian) and doing another (behaving as if I am not) earns me that label. Today’s Scripture reading gives a slightly different perspective.

Some background is needed. In the early church there were some who claimed to believe in Jesus Christ yet added circumcision was necessary for salvation. Their background as Jews contributed to this for in the Old Testament era, circumcision was a sign that they were in a covenant relationship with God. It did not put them into that relationship — it was a sign that they were already in it. However, some Jewish believers got it backwards. This issue was in constant debate in the New Testament. Paul wrote to the church at Rome . . .

For circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law, but if you break the law, your circumcision becomes uncircumcision. So, if a man who is uncircumcised keeps the precepts of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? Then he who is physically uncircumcised but keeps the law will condemn you who have the written code and circumcision but break the law. For no one is a Jew who is merely one outwardly, nor is circumcision outward and physical. But a Jew is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter. His praise is not from man but from God. (Romans 2:25–29)

He is saying that being a true or genuine Jew is not a matter of outward or external things, such as wearing phylacteries, paying tithes, or being circumcised. Genuine circumcision is not the physical rite itself but an inward matter of the heart and a work of the Holy Spirit. In other words, this ritual was a symbol for a changed life.

It is the same for Christian faith. We have actions that signify that we believe such as baptism and attending church services, but those actions do not save us. They are intended to show that we have God’s redemptive life.

In the early church, circumcision was not the only Jewish tradition. Another was separation from Gentiles who were considered pagans. However, Christ came to save all who believe, including Gentiles. Certain Jews had a problem with this. The Apostles were including Gentile believers, but those who wanted circumcision frowned on their inclusion and wanted them circumcised. Paul wrote about it . . .

But when Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?” (Galatians 2:11–14)

Peter was eating with Gentiles but didn’t want the Jews see him doing it. Paul called this hypocrisy. I try to think of a modern parallel such as if I gladly ate at our non-believing neighbors but didn’t want my Christian friends to know it, or if I joined the library book club and read books that my Christian friends didn’t approve of, so hid that from them? The hypocrisy is not in the eating or the reading — it is in the hiding! It is in acting as if my salvation is about doing ‘Christian’ things and not doing any ‘outside the church’ things.

Paul writes about the freedom of salvation by faith. I am justified by faith in Christ, not what I do . . .

We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. (Galatians 2:15–16)

Faith changes the ‘I wants’ of my heart. I desire to do ‘Christian’ things, but so I desire to reach sinners — by eating with some, by reading with some, by playing Scrabble with some — and being open about it with my Christian friends so they can pray for me and for those unsaved friends. Some may shake their heads and say tsk, tsk, as if Christians should not do that, but Jesus ate and drank with sinners and was criticized the same way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I hear You telling me to be who I am with whoever is around me. Do not hide my life and actions for fear of others with a conception of Christianity that is so narrow that they cannot include or be friends with the ‘sinners’ in their lives. Instead, I know You want people to hear about You and see You in action in the life of Your children. May my life be an open book and may others see You it its pages. Amen!

No comments: