May 28, 2019

The most exciting mystery . . .


I enjoy reading a complicated mystery or crime story that has so many twists and turns that the ending is a surprise. Perhaps that is why I’m not bothered by trying to figure out when Jesus will return. The Bible, like any good book, has a story to tell loaded with mystery, but the only thing that is certain about the ending is that ‘Jesus wins’!

Oh, there are lots of clues and just as many theories about what will happen. Even though Jesus said that no one knows the day or the hour, almost every theologian has formulated a guess along with a timeline. Some are certain, others are more flexible. I’m flexible. What God says will happen is certain yet the way He does it will be true to previous prophecies — that is, they surprised everyone who thought they knew how they would be fulfilled. God is good at surprises. Therefore my big-picture-look at the ‘end times’ and the ‘Day of the Lord’ can be summed up this way: No one will be able to say, “I told you so.”

We do have a few good clues though. The Bible describes certain things which must occur before we see the full force of God’s end time judgment. Some of this is described in 2 Thessalonians:

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. (2 Thessalonians 2:3–7)

Most think the first few words describe an apostasy from true faith. That is, people will turn away in masse from trusting God. Today’s pessimists say this is happening now, but today’s optimists point to the thousands that are turning to Christ and say things are still okay. This present time is like reading the clues in a mystery!

The above verses describe the appearance of the “man of lawlessness” or the man of sin as translated in some versions. Who is that? Another mystery, a character that leads the world away from Jesus Christ? A charming leader that fools almost everyone? The clues are there, but how do we know for sure? Throughout history, this title has been put on various people but time showed that none of them perfectly fit the descriptions. Besides, this antichrist person will deceive many. Even Christians need to be careful who they put on that throne.

These verses also speak of the removal of a present restrainer, one who is keeping “the mystery of lawlessness” from fully becoming evident, but this restrainer will be taken out of the way. That will change everything. Lawlessness and sin will abound without restraint. It seems that is starting to happen, yet we all know that God seldom puts His law-abiding good people in the spotlight. Grace and godliness do not form headlines but that does not mean they are missing. Again, the pessimists see only evil, but those who look for God will find much that He is doing. His Spirit is active, drawing people to Himself and blessing them in myriad ways. Again, this activity is part of the mystery, the plot of God that I read with anticipation even though I haven’t a clue as to the next chapter. I just know the ending (I peeked . . . Jesus wins!)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord God, there is something about this incredible story that greatly excites me and fills me with joy. I know that You will return. I know that You will judge sin and sinners. I know that those who reject You will receive the consequence of their rejection. I also know that I am safe. No matter what course history takes or how the story works out, You are taking care of me now and will take care of me through it all. Even death cannot destroy me for I have eternal life in You. This is the marvel of faith, of trusting You even without knowing what You are doing because knowing the plot is not faith; faith is knowing the One who writes the story, who controls the outcome. I’m excited and full of joy because You are sovereign and You know what You are doing and You love Your people. We can trust You with this and with everything else that is now a mystery. One day we will know and understand it all, and that is good enough for me!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Amen! Thanks God we know the end of the story!