May 8, 2019

Citizens of another country . . .


I read this week of a man who had an excess of ties, put them on e-bay and connected with a customer who wanted a certain one that was red, white and blue. The owner noticed it had a small stain and he didn’t feel right to sell it without cleaning it. In communication with the buyer, he found out that the man wanted the tie to wear to his swearing-in ceremony as a US citizen. The seller sent it to him, clean and free of charge.

Citizenship is important, especially to hundreds if not thousands of refugees who live in camps outside their homeland. Some left their country without much more than the clothes they were wearing. Many are Christians, persecuted and without papers to prove their citizenship. Our church has helped a few families out of those camps and into our country where they will eventually become citizens.

The Apostle Paul was a Roman citizen. This is an important part of his story. This status allowed several valuable rights such as the right to a proper trial before condemnation and punishment, the right to appeal to Caesar for justice and in event of the death penalty, execution by decapitation rather than crucifixion.

Arrested in Philippi, Paul used his rights of citizenship to gain respect from the local magistrates who mistreated them. The jailer told Paul, “The magistrates have sent to let you go. Therefore come out now and go in peace.” But Paul said to them, “They have beaten us publicly, uncondemned, men who are Roman citizens, and have thrown us into prison; and do they now throw us out secretly? No! Let them come themselves and take us out.” The police reported these words to the magistrates, and they were afraid when they heard that they were Roman citizens. So they came and apologized to them. And they took them out and asked them to leave the city. (Acts 16:35–39)

Later, Paul was questioned about his status by a Roman captain in Jerusalem who told him he had purchased this coveted citizenship with “a great sum.” Paul replied, “But I am a citizen by birth.” At that, those who were about to examine him withdrew from him immediately, and the tribune also was afraid, for he realized that Paul was a Roman citizen and that he had bound him. (Acts 22:28–29)

When the Jews accused him before Festus, Governor of Judaea, Paul argued in his defense,

“Neither against the law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I committed any offense . . . I am standing before Caesar’s tribunal, where I ought to be tried. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you yourself know very well. If then I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything for which I deserve to die, I do not seek to escape death. But if there is nothing to their charges against me, no one can give me up to them. I appeal to Caesar.” (Acts 25:8–12)

My citizenship is important too, yet my boast and best defense is the citizenship God has given me . . .

For through (Jesus) we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. (Ephesians 2:18–22)

In Christ, I am a child of God and a citizen of His kingdom, a member of His household. The benefits of this status are almost more than I can count. One of them is in the above verse: with God’s people, we are a dwelling place for God!
Another plus of this citizenship is the promise and assurance of an eternal future, totally unlike those who have rejected Jesus . . .

For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. (Philippians 3:18–4:1)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I belong to You, to Your family, Your kingdom. I am a citizen of heaven, even now as I live here on earth and serve as Your ambassador. Because of You, I can stand firm in this place, even on those days when I feel I’m in a refugee camp and do not belong. Thank You for such amazing grace!

No comments: