May 29, 2019

Awake with anticipation . . .


Last night I finished reading another mystery about a drowning that looked like an accident but several clues said otherwise. These small clues eventually led to the two people who made this ‘accident’ happen and they were arrested and charged. What interested me is how each clue in itself was meaningless, but as the detectives gathered more than one, they led to the solution of the mystery.

When it comes to the mystery of when Jesus will return, we do have clues yet there are not quite enough of them to put all the pieces together. We know some of the signs and have indications what will be happening in the world prior to that great event, but only enough to make us curious and wary.

The Word of God tells us to be wary or watchful and aware of the conditions in the world. Not all of God’s people are up on current events. I know a few who do not read or watch the news. This is unfortunate for ignoring those events could keep us in the dark about something God wants us to be on the alert for. How can we know prophecy is being fulfilled if we shut ourselves off from the world’s issues? While I agree that the media can be biased and in error, paying attention can give us a good idea if the news heralds God’s activities.

But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. (1 Thessalonians 5:4–8)

Jesus said to be ready. Paul said to be ready. We will not be surprised as long as our minds are not buried in fluff. We are supposed to stay alert and this will help us be fortified for not just the return of Christ but any crisis. Yet being alert is not all that is needed. The Bible tells us to stay strong in our faith.

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. (2 Thessalonians 2:15)

We stand strong when we keep our lives in order (awake and sober!). Church attendance is not mere ritual. I am strengthened by the messages from the pulpit. My faith is expressed and strengthened as I sing in worship. I’m reminded God is the source of all I have as the collection plate goes around. Other Christians encourage me with stories of God’s care during the week. We are needy people yet provided for by the mercy and grace of God.

Daily devotions are not mere ritual either. God speaks ‘rhema’ to me each morning as I come with a heart ready to listen. Today could be the Day! When Jesus comes, I want to be ready, not surprised and not ‘doing my own thing’ as if my life belongs to me. Daily time with God helps keep my easily distracted mind focused. Prayer is always a challenge to this scattered mind, but God uses those conversations to point me to the important stuff of life and to the people who need Him in a myriad of ways.

Other spiritual disciplines are vital, not because I’m trying to impress God but because they put me in places where He can bless me and keep me in a right relationship with Him and with others. While being aware of current events is not one of those disciplines, many times those items in the news lead to prayer, praise and a greater longing for Jesus to return. Wasting time and energy is becoming increasingly frustrating. I feel a sense of loss when I goof off. I don’t want to do that but realize that standing firm is a choice, a discipline.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the bottom line is that You want me to be always ready for that day when You will return to earth. It may not happen in my lifetime, but should it be soon, I want to be ready. Keep my mind stayed on You. You know I am prone to wander. Keep my heart trusting You, thinking of You, interpreting my life and the news of the world by what You have shown me concerning Your will. I don’t want to miss all the clues — yet want to add them up as time goes by and not be ignorant when the end draws near. At the same time, I don’t mind being surprised by how it all works out!

No comments: