August 21, 2018

Victory over sin and death


The Old Testament is a long illustration of God’s law of sin and death. God lays down the way His people must live, and they repeatedly give it their best shot but fail over and over. There is nothing wrong with the law; as the NT says, the laws of God are good and right. They make a wonderful promise. Here is an example:

“Again, though I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ yet if he turns from his sin and does what is just and right, if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has taken by robbery, and walks in the statutes of life, not doing injustice, he shall surely live; he shall not die. None of the sins that he has committed shall be remembered against him. He has done what is just and right; he shall surely live.” (Ezekiel 33:14–16)

The problem with the law (which basically says if you do good, you shall live) is that no one kept the law. No one could do the good that God told them to do. They failed miserably.

Why would God give impossible orders to His people, to anyone? This is puzzling. Even the early Christians in Galatia were confused over the issue. They struggled to live by faith and were being drawn back into the OT laws because they thought they could become better people by doing so. However, the law was not given to make anyone righteous.
“Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.” (Galatians 3:21–26)
Simply put, the law shows us that we are sinners, held captive by our own inability to conquer sin. How else would we learn that except by trying and failing?

One of our children was eager to help in the kitchen. From the two older ones, I learned not to say, “You are too little” for that destroyed their desire to help. Instead, I let him try. He eventually realized he could not stir the batter or knead the bread dough, but this understanding did not destroy his desire to help. He’d say he could not do it and was willing to keep trying.

We are like children who need to realize our limitations. The law of God does that. By trying to be godly people, we eventually sense that His bar is too high and we fall short. My sin is stronger than my resolve.

Not only that, thinking I can earn God’s favor by my own effort is a mistake. This does not mean ignoring goodness, but it does mean that falling short should humble me and drive me to the cross. Only the righteousness of Jesus Christ satisfies a holy God. I need Him, I need a personal relationship with Him to achieve victory over sin by sharing in His righteousness.
“In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them . . .  For our sake (God) made (Jesus) to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:19–21)
Peace with God and righteousness comes by a trade-off. Jesus took my sin on Himself and paid my penalty for it. He never sinned yet submitted to the law of sin and death for my sake. And in return, He gives me His righteousness. An unfair trade? You better believe it. This is God’s solution to the impossible laws that no one can keep. Jesus kept all of them and He gives sinners Himself so that we can be justified by faith, not by works.
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9)
Only then do I have any hope of keeping God’s laws, not by my efforts but by the work of the Holy Spirit who blesses me with His power by grace, not because I’ve earned it. I’m a sinner and cannot do it, but He does it on my behalf.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, sometimes the reality of the Gospel puts me in trembling awe. I’m so blessed to be Your child, Your friend, Yours in every way. How can I say thanks? By willingly admitting my sin and gladly allowing You to live in me.

No comments: