August 5, 2018

Faith in Jesus gives purpose to afflictions


The trials and difficulties of life are not to ruin God’s people but to bring out the life of Christ in us. When God pushes me to the edge, His purpose is to push me away from reliance upon myself so that I not only rely on Him, but the life I live is obviously not my old life but the new live He has given me. The Apostle Paul wrote about this:

“We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you.” (2 Corinthians 4:8–12)

This does not mean that the death of Jesus puts the ‘Jesus in me’ to death but that His death has the power to abolish my old life of self-rule. He died to bless me with the power to die, not for the sins of the world like He died but die to the sins of myself. In doing that, His life in me begins to shine.

Usually I cannot see it — I live by faith not by sight — but others can see it. For this reason, the Bible says when death is at work in God’s people, life is at work in those who see what is happening. I cannot demand this, predict it, or make it happen. This is the work of God. My work is to let Him have His way in me through affliction, perplexity, persecution, being struck down, carrying in my body the death of Jesus so that His life may shine forth. Again, I live by faith, trusting Him to use me in this sometimes-painful life of both dying and living.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus Christ, You are the master of both. You are victorious in both dying and rising to new life. In You, I am more than a conqueror. I am set free from the indignation of not being able to rule my own life and given the remarkable contentment of trusting You to do it for me.

Praise the Lord, oh my soul, oh my soul. Bless His holy name. Sing like never before, oh my soul. Bless His holy name!



No comments: