August 22, 2018

Self-control — start small!


An author tells of one way to get past procrastination. He says to come up with a ridiculously simple first step. That is, if the task is cleaning a messy garage, the first step might be to clear one shelf.

A pastor tells of one way to practice the virtue of temperance or self-control. He says to do a small thing, like clean off your desk. My husband does it by saying no to dessert or something else he enjoys. When asked why he does that, he invariably says, “Because I can.”

God also says we can, at least those of us who know and follow Jesus Christ . . .

“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 1:3–8)

Tozer’s devotional reading for today focuses on temperance or self-control. While it is a fruit of the Spirit and not something I automatically do, I need to keep short accounts with God so the Spirit can fill me. I also must put this virtue into practice whenever opportunity presents itself.

For instance, daily Bible reading and devotions, even on those days when I am distracted or do not feel like it. Prayer also when my mind is filled with other things. These are easier now after years of exercising discipline. So also is patience in traffic, slow to speak when someone says something I disagree with, even saying no to dessert (much to the consternation of all who are saying yes).

Temperance gets tested. I have plans for today and woke up in the night remembering that I might have company today which would throw my plans out the window. I wanted to groan and whine, but chose instead to think of alternatives, like being gracious to others as I put my plans on hold. This seems like a little thing but imagine how self-control would affect the world if everyone drew this virtue from Jesus Christ and lived it out in every possible way. There would be no more selfish actions! That is almost impossible to imagine in the realms of politics, societal relationships, family life, the work world or anything else.

Tozer says harmony in all our Christian life hinges on this one area. Self-control means no room for excess, no fighting with God’s plans. No matter what comes at us, we can remain virtuous and gracious, level-headed and without negative response.

Sounds impossible? Read again. The Word of God says His power has granted ALL I need that pertains to life and godliness through knowing Jesus Christ and if these qualities are mine and increasing, they will make my life effective and fruitful.

^^^^^^^^
Dear Jesus, faith in You is not a leap in the dark but a tremendous step into light and privilege. That light is bright and compelling, almost too much for my small brain. Yet You says all this is mine and I merely must live it out, even if it means starting with ridiculously small steps.

No comments: