August 23, 2018

Holiness through faith in Christ


Tozer declares “we” come into the presence of God with tainted souls and do nothing about it. His words for today also seem to accuse Christians of living careless lives even though we go to church and go through all the motions, there is a neglect of holiness. That is, our salvation is not evident because of a lack of genuine spirituality.

I’m not sure what was going on in Tozer’s era or circumstances, nor do I understand his concept of holiness. What I do know is Jesus Christ is my holiness, my righteousness. Without the Savior there is no salvation. Without the holy Son of God, there is no holiness. Whatever in me that is godly comes from Him.

Yes, many of us live with our own concept of morality yet in the process of being sanctified by God, we learn that we always fall short. If the righteousness of Christ were not imputed on us and if God judged us by our performance, no one could be saved or allowed into the gates of heaven.

Even great men of God admitted their failure to be like Him. Isaiah said, “I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips” (Isaiah 6:5). Paul said, “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.” (1 Timothy 1:15)

We come dirty into the presence of God but the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7). Like the Israelites of old, we often are determined to do better, yet repeatedly struggle with sin. We know that our salvation is in Christ yet we are told to work it out with fear and trembling as He works in us. What is our part and what is God’s part? That question can be confusing.

We also know that holiness is the standard and most of us realize that we fall short. Tozer uses this verse:

“Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.” (Hebrews 12:14)

I note it says, “the holiness” and realize that there is more than one kind. We can have a self-righteous sanctification that claims to never sin and gets called ‘holier than thou.’ The holiness at the other end of the spectrum is what Paul was talking about by saying, “I am the chief of sinners” and still be a righteous man. He knew where his righteousness came from. Even though he disciplined himself and aimed high, he also knew that his efforts were a waste without the grace of God that makes holiness possible.

One verse is a great encouragement to me and helps me when my resolve to be holy falls in the mud:

“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” (Colossians 2:6–7)

I received Jesus by faith, confessing that I cannot save myself. I’m also striving to walk by faith, continually realizing that I cannot conquer sin or be holy without Jesus. He works in me to take away sin. I am in awe of His power to save.

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.” (Proverbs 9:10)

Falling down is not the issue. All Christians struggle with living to God’s high standards. Paul knew he was not there yet. Even as a mature believer, he said this about being like Jesus:

“Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.” (Philippians 3:13–15)

And to me, he says: “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6)

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, Your salvation declares me holy then makes me what You say I already am! I’m thinking that You are more pleased in those days when I’m on my face realizing over again and more deeply that I cannot save myself than You are in those days when I am trying to be holy without any humility or even awareness of how far short I fall. I need You every moment!

No comments: